Skip to main content
Topic: Project Grandad - Strip down, inspection and clean (Read 3604 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Project Grandad - Strip down, inspection and clean

Reply #15
Wow, this brings back memories... I'd a jade green metallic 8v GTI way back in the late 80's / early 90's.

Went for a dealer service in Belfast and never came back, someone decided to petrol bomb the garage. There were Quattro's and countless other's lost!

Ironically I'd a silver 1.8 GL 5-Door, otherwise identical to yours as a courtesy car when it happened... got to use it for a bit longer than intended as a result.

My recollection is that it was every bit as quick as the GTI only more comfy, left a good impression.

Reply #16
Got me looking through some old photos, unusually I can't find a 'before' of it as I took pics of all my cars back then, but here's an 'after'.

I remember I'd put some 14" Fondmetal 7 or 9 spokes on her, you can just about see the molten blobs in the photo.

Still sort of green, though I think that's more the shade of super heated steel!

Good luck with the project, looking great so far.

Reply #17
Looks like it's in great shape!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #18
Got me looking through some old photos, unusually I can't find a 'before' of it as I took pics of all my cars back then, but here's an 'after'.

I remember I'd put some 14" Fondmetal 7 or 9 spokes on her, you can just about see the molten blobs in the photo.

Still sort of green, though I think that's more the shade of super heated steel!

Good luck with the project, looking great so far.

Bloody hell what a shame about yours!

Reply #19
Time to remove some human slime, grot and dust that's been building up for the last 34 years.

We're not interior detailers by any means, but a good wash with soap, baby wipes and a wet vac later it has come up really well. And is at least no longer a bio-hazard! The carpets are in great shape for 34 years old too.

Reply #20
Another thing that was a bit odd (and irritating) was the boot only opened about 1/2 height. So made boot access very awkward.

New boot struts bought and fitted and it opens like it should now. Turns out the old ones were too short! Greased up the pin for good measure too.

Reply #21
Good work, those carpets look new!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #22
Yeah I was surprised at how good they were still when we took them out. No signs of wear or anything. Just really dirty.

Reply #24
Time for some more cleaning, this time in the form of the seats.

Everyone loves a pic of brown water after a wet vac, so I hope you're fulfilled by this!

Before:

Anyone fancy a pint?

Hard to determine the difference its made as velour hides the dirt well! But judging by the water it's certainly made a difference. Less farts and poo particles embedded in them now.

Reply #26
That may be the way to go, although they do seem to have come up well and we're pleased with them.

How hard are they to remove and more importantly, refit?

Reply #28
It's been a while, but there have been some nice little updates on the little Mk2.

First, new sunroof wind deflector. Will still spruce up to make it pukka.

Next step, sticky cold air flap in the air box was contributing to carb icing issues - even in July.

https://youtube.com/shorts/CiC_qBk_DoM?feature=share

Reply #29
Next job, some may say pointless, I say worthwhile: Engine bay tart up.

Some grotty bits:

Who knew the early 1.8's had a metal top timing belt cover?

Scrub the plastic back and make it black again, rather than 35 years of dust and oil. (That's paint from previous spray jobs on the cardboard, the plastic hasn't been painted!)

Time to get that wire wheel and dremel out

Paint and rust stripped

The stuff used

I am not a painter by any stretch of the imagination and have a habit of getting impatient and applying it too heavily, but I resisted and it's come up pretty well. Some pitting still present in the worst affected areas, but as that's hidden I'm not overly concerned. It's still better than before!

New vacuum hoses too:

All back together and looks much better. Amazing what few hours of graft achieves. Shame the sticker on the rocker cover was lost, as I liked that. But I much prefer a satin black rocker cover to the rusty one.