Skip to main content
Topic: All original and unrestored ... (Read 676 times) previous topic - next topic

All original and unrestored ...

Hopefully you can see this pic, it's a direct link to a facebook page so I guess may not show due to permissions etc.

But assuming you can see it, I was 'Papped' at the first Nation Meet I attended. I'd had the car about a month iirc and the roof bars were there because I was buying a load of parts off Bobby (G60go).

There's something I really love about this picture, it shows the life this car had had 'rust an all'.
It was something that after the restoration started I felt very weird about changing. Like the car lost some of it's character forever.

Anyway, I recently watched the episode of Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars, with Drew Pritchard where they tackled a Beetle and very professionally restored it restored it to a very tired and worn out condition .. huh!?

Well anyway some more info and pics about that here: https://patinavw.com/salvagehuntersclassiccars/

I didn't really dig the Beetle, I'd have loved to see it pristine, but I get it!

And I couldn't help think about my journey with the beloved Eleanor and how in her transformation she lost some her story, but started a news one..... Very philosophical, but I hope you get what I mean.

Re: All original and unrestored ...

Reply #1
Hi Tim....nice roof bars!!!

I recall seeing the Salvage Hunters program where they painted the "rust"on the new parts to blend in with the original. I think they stripped off a dodgy respray?
On some cars the painted on rust looks quite effective. But if it's real rust that can only get worse over time. Much as I'd love my car to have pristine paint and no rust. I'm happy to keep on top of it so it will last me a long time and I don't get too hung up about minor imperfections...they still annoy me. The base of the rear inner arches are getting a bit "frilly" so will be attended to shortly.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel