Skip to main content
Topic: Running on 2 (Read 778 times) previous topic - next topic

Running on 2

The mk2 has started running on 2 cylinders, I've swapped plugs, leads and injectors from 3 and 4 to 1 and 2 and its still 3 and 4 not firing. I also checked 3 and 4 for a spark. A bit of research online suggests its probably the headgasket between the 2 cylinders. Is there a possibility of a different issue before I get the headgasket done? It's a 1.8 8v gti pb
Thanks Doug

Re: Running on 2

Reply #1
No expert but there should  be other signs if the head gasket has gone that bad , could it not be distributor? Hopefully someone who knows something will come along soon.

Reply #2
Cap, rotor, leads, plugs... all cheap and easy and the right place to start.
Check you have a spark at each plug. If you have a spark but it's not firing then either you're firing order is out, or you have a fuel issue.

A head gasket issue could give you low compression but should still fire, or try at least.

Reply #3
Try compression test

Reply #4
Forgot to mention I was driving when it started happening so I'm pretty sure the firing order is correct, I had driven about 8 or 10 miles but it did misfire about half a mile into the journey. We also removed the injectors and pointed them into a tub while turning the car over. All 4 looked to be pumping the same amount of fuel. I have borrowed a compression tester and plan to do that this weekend. Thanks for the responses.

Reply #5
I've don't a compression test and the results are
Dry   175   175   30   30
Wet   185   185   40   40
I assume where all the result went up on the wet test the rings are OK, so head off new gasket and re seat the valves?

Reply #6
Head gasket....

[attachment deleted by admin due to attachment age]

Reply #7
Looks like found source of the problem, hope everything else goes your way