Skip to main content
Topic: Heater box blend flap foam (Read 719 times) previous topic - next topic

Heater box blend flap foam

Hi all, anyone found a suitable foam for the heater box flaps please? Phil

Re: Heater box blend flap foam

Reply #2
I've probably used the most random of materials.... and I've done 3 of them now including my current golf, all done with no issue and I gave a load of it away to a mate to do the same so there's at least 4 Golfs in existence with this material used.

When we moved into our house nearly 11 years ago the previous owner left behind all sorts of crap, including so grey foam laminate flooring underlay. Odd as there was no laminate floor laid in the house, but he was an odd bloke so who knows why it was there.

Anyway, after using some to put laminate down in the downstairs loo there was still loads left which I left in the loft just in case, like you do.

So that's what I ended up using when I came to do my first heater box repair. Stuck on with high temp spray adhesive. On the first one I trimmed the edges with gaffa tape but haven't bothered on any of the others.

It's quite a dense plasticy foam if you get what I mean, so shouldn't deteriorate like the original spongy foam stuff.

Reply #3
I used a couple of A4 sized sticky foam from Hobby craft and covered it with sticky aluminium tape. However when I removed the heater box to convert to aircon I noted the foam had come unstuck and I hadn't overlapped the sticky foil enough.
This time I've covered the flaps with foil tape then just put foam round the edges and covered that with foil tape to stop any rattling.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #4
That's great - Thanks.