Skip to main content
Topic: Hi everybody  (Read 1076 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi everybody

Just a quick post to introduce myself. After having a few Mk 1’s and 2’s in my late teens and early 20’s the inevitable dating/marriage/kids scenario ensued followed by the sensible family cars (currently driving a very nicely specced Smax so not that bad) but now has come the time to treat myself to the car I couldn’t afford back then! So I am currently searching for a Mk2 Golf Gti, TBF my wife is getting a little miffed with the amount of time I’m on my phone checking for newly listed cars so I’ve had to agree to her getting a dog! So for the sake of my marriage if there are any good honest examples out there for not silly money then please let me know! Anyhow I’ll be checking in regularly and hopefully soon with details and pictures of a new car!

Re: Hi everybody

Reply #1
theres quite a few for sale... as prices creeping up..
Whats your budget and then go from there.... as 1500 may get you a runner moredore, or 20k(yes people asking for this) should secure you a top level car.
Ifound a note on my 3 door 16v small bumper last week from someone clled darren asking if mine was for sale... pity i put paper down before i could reply and could not find it..  But its really not for sale, but if someone offered good money then id be thinking.

Reply #2
I must admit I’ve noticed the prices seem to have been rising the last few weeks since I was tentatively looking! I’ve got a budget of about £5k, I don’t expect perfection but something that isn’t going to bite me in the bum with massive hidden repair bills is what I’m looking for.

Reply #4
Your wife got the better deal... a dog's just for life!

Reply #5
You know what I think you might be right!

Reply #6
Hi and welcome:) not a bad trade with your wife :)

Good luck with the search and keep us posted
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #7
Best of luck with your search, there is loads of great advise on here, I have just been posting on the members cars some pics of the car I have just bought. Phil

Reply #8
So I find myself in an enviable but somewhat awkward situation. After searching for my new car and looking at countless adverts I come across what I hoped would be it, a late 3 door big bumper in white with a set of BBS alloys. The miles were slightly higher than I would like but it looked solid and so I went to see it and came away with it. The drive home left me with a permanent smile on my face and life was good. Later that evening I was searching FB marketplace for some little bits to adorn my new steed when a newly listed advert caught my eye, long story short I now also own (once MOT has been completed) a 1990 big bumper 5 door in calypso green with decent miles on the clock. The colour really grabbed me, in the sunlight it almost looked like a candy flip paint job..stunning. I really am torn between my two new toys but one has got to go!

Reply #9
If you're an old git, get rid of the white one... far too many of us starting to fit that profile on this site for comfort.

Reply #11
If you're an old git, get rid of the white one... far too many of us starting to fit that profile on this site for comfort.

Rude! ;-) Calypso is underrated in my eyes, I think it's a really nice colour and not that common. Doesn't instantly scream GTI though. Contemplated this colour a few times while looking before ending up with my 3rd White one  ::)

But ultimately do a thorough investigation of both and keep the best one. I know it's effort, but worth taking up the carpets including the rear turret covers in the boot. And a good prod underneath, perhaps even go as far as removing the arch trim and sill covers. Time well spent I'd say given the current predicament.

Reply #12

Rude! ;-) Calypso is underrated in my eyes, I think it's a really nice colour and not that common. Doesn't instantly scream GTI though. Contemplated this colour a few times while looking before ending up with my 3rd White one  ::)

But ultimately do a thorough investigation of both and keep the best one. I know it's effort, but worth taking up the carpets including the rear turret covers in the boot. And a good prod underneath, perhaps even go as far as removing the arch trim and sill covers. Time well spent I'd say given the current predicament.

Wise words,  keep the best body shell, keep the best off of both  then really clean up the spare  car and try to make a few quid to spend on the keeper ..

Reply #13
Yes, there may even be good grounds to swap a few parts over onto whichever you decide to keep to make sure you really have the best you can.

Although I like Calypso as stated, I'd personally keep the 3 door regardless of colour. Depends on your requirements though. I know for a lot of people 5 door is more convenient. For my family car I have a 5dr Mk5 GTI.  I couldn't have a 3 door, but the mk2 is mine and it's  "uncommon"  anyone else is in it with me.

Reply #14
Thank you for all the words of wisdom I am definitely going to go over the two of them with a fine tooth comb. I suspect the engine on the 5 door is the better of the two and both bodies are equally as good so that might be the tipping point, however whichever I do keep will definitely be getting the pick of the parts from the two cars!