Skip to main content
Topic: Retro fit power steering  (Read 775 times) previous topic - next topic

Retro fit power steering

Hello guys ‘n’ gals.
 So I’ve just picked up my new toy and driven it for the first time and man have I forgot how heavy a car without power steering is. My question is, is it possible to retro fit power steering and what does it entail and has anybody on here done it?

Thanks

Re: Retro fit power steering

Reply #1
It can be done but it’s quite a bit of work... I don’t have pas and I only notice when slow manoeuvring ... It might help that I don’t steer with the palm of my hand though

Reply #2
I can cope with it but I was struggling a bit at low speeds and I’m not a small guy. It’s mainly if and when my wife needs to use the car that I am thinking of. Ideally I would keep the car that has the PAS but the non PAS model comes from a collector who has had it for the past 18 years and really looked after it.

Reply #3
Oh so you have one with pas and one without... I am no expert but you should be able to do a swap,
.. someone will tell you

Reply #4
Yes I do have 2, I really do think that eBay purchases after 9pm should have to pass an alcohol breath test! The idea is to keep the 2 of them with PAS, so I would need a ‘cutting list of parts’ ideally or maybe a complete unit from a car that is breaking?

Reply #5
There’s quite a bit involved so better to buy it all as a complete kit from someone breaking. Better still go remove it yourself from a breaker then you’ll make sure you have all the bolts And clips etc. I’d be tempted not to swap with your other one.

It’s worth noting a few things are had to find new. Like the pipes themselves. But you can convert to mk3 set up. It might be worth investigating that further.

You need
steering rack
Universal joint on bottom or column
Rubber boot for above
Pipes
Reservoir
Reservoir bracket
Pas pump and pulley
Bracket and adjuster
V belt
And I think a different belt for alternator?
And fluid obviously

I’m not 100% sure if you need to change the alternator bracket, I think not but you might need longer bolts.

Also worth noting to changer thermostat you have to remove the pas pump. It’s a pita job to do so Personally I’d take the opportunity to replace stat and water pump at the same time.

If you end up going with a mk3 set up it’s a serpentine belt so fit a new Pulley or fit a mk3 alternator to boot!

And finally if you want to do it oem style you may note between your two cars, is different steering wheels. Pas has straight spokes non-pas is curved.

Mark, don’t think I realised yours was poverty spec.

Reply #7
And it is possible to drop the subframe and change the rack with the engine in, supported from above. But it might be easier in the long run if you’re willing and able to remove the engine.
The whole front unbolts so it can be done without a crane. Lower the complete unit onto a jack Or trolley and wheel It out the front of the car.

Hope I haven’t put you off, please keep us updated.

Reply #8
Thanks for the really detailed info, it is something I will need to do as it needs to be drivable for the two of us and in its current guise that isn’t the case. How robust are these units if I get one from a breaker, are they prone to failure or pretty bulletproof?

Reply #9
And finally if you want to do it oem style you may note between your two cars, is different steering wheels. Pas has straight spokes non-pas is curved.

Can you elaborate on this??

Actually just looked it up, never knew that, also it seems the PAS wheel is smaller.