Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16434 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #270
I admire the effort you've put into these calipers but I'm definitely going to continue to buy remaned ones in future!

They are on the car, no leaks, parking brake holding (surprisingly firm); unless they fail, never again.  That is exactly what I expect. the car is only insured for 1k miles per year and as I'm in my 60s I don't expect to go there again.

Reply #271
Gordon on the move for the first time in years:

Edit, he has a slight pooping moose look.  Hopefully the front suspension will settle, I think I made the mistake of torquing up with the car on stands.  These are things I can now sort out easier.  I have a flat garage floor, power, water, compressed air and access to all of my tools.  Shouldn't be long now :-)

Reply #272
Looking good!
Can't be long now.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #273
Looking good!
Can't be long now.

Paint correction and ceramic coat
Glass scratches if I’m brave enough
Set up geometry
Set up head lights
Investigate squishy brakes, perhaps they were like that?
Takle some surface rust inside where the rear bumper goes
Fit arches, rubbing strips, flaps, rear bumper, roof gutter etc
Squirt preserving wax every where
Book pre MOT and MOT.

Can’t wait running well and sounding factory. Edit. Didn’t get it of the trailer before it was complemented and me asked if it would be for sale.

Reply #274
Everyone loves a classic!

As for your brakes, pretty sure it's because everything is brand new.
While I was testing mine on Sunday, the first couple of presses were bloody awful, thought I'd got something wrong.
But after a few laps around the storage yard, they started responding.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #275
Everyone loves a classic!

As for your brakes, pretty sure it's because everything is brand new.
While I was testing mine on Sunday, the first couple of presses were bloody awful, thought I'd got something wrong.
But after a few laps around the storage yard, they started responding.

The brakes are not quite all new, all calipers rebuilt, new master cylinder, new brake regulator valve, new pipes and flexes.  Discs and pads were about 25 year old genuine VW with very little wear so they went back on.  What I can't be sure of is that I got the pads and discs matched correctly so I may have bedding in plus to do.  Also I'm bleeding out diluted red rubber grease in my fluid so a few more bleeds to go.  Fingers crossed.

Reply #276
On with paint correction today.  This is the O/S C post but most of the car is in this state:

It is a mess so I decide to make a cut with an aggressive pad.  It was still scratched so I made a cut with a less aggressive pad.  Scratches almost gone so I made a third cut with my least aggressive cutting pad.  There is just pad marring to polish out.

I only made one polishing pass, there is still some marring but that is good enough for me:

Didn't want to take anymore paint off:

I'm no expert, I just watched this and got on with it:

https://youtu.be/9JTxGf2Lvp4

Reply #277
Looking good inside but the outside is driving me nuts,  I get a finish on the paint I'm happy with then ruin it with towel marring.  The good news is the panels that are already ceramic coated are holding out.  So I think I need to paint correct, final polish, ceramic coat.

Edit, in addition to waging war on paint scratches I've fitted a new VW N/S roof gutter and a new check  strap seal on the same side.

Reply #278
I don't suppose this one will be making an appearance at the national meet?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #279
I don't suppose this one will be making an appearance at the national meet?

I've got this thing about MK2s, don't get me wrong there are lots of reasons to like them, they are not lookers.  A line up of them does nothing for me so probably not.
I much prefer working on them and driving them.

Reply #280
Somebody said "it is all in the detail".  Detail takes time as I'm finding out.  This one side of the car has taken all day.

I had to resist the temptation to put the arches and rubbing strips on.  Forced myself to be patient and get the ceramic coat on first.

Reply #281
Well that will be one less immaculate Golf to shine against my less than perfect example!
But seriously it will be good to see you there and talk about Golfing with fellow enthusiasts.
I'm afraid Mr J 833kly will be only getting a wash and hoover before the show and no doubt arrive with plenty of flies splattered on the grille and screen showing warts and all (I found a hole in the inner sill at the weekend, oh 8u99er)
Hopefully I will be towing a bit of noughties habitation too if the clutch doesn't give up!

edit. Can @Eddypeck and I have a Best hybrid working (latest work in phrase) daily class in the Show and Shine....kidding!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #282
No I will not be at the National Meet, that sort of thing simply does not push my buttons. I considered Harewood which is very close to me but the tickets are silly expensive to allow others to have a look at your car.
I may consider a VW meet at the Motorist but that’s as far as I’ll go.
Edit2, or perhaps a charity run. 
Edit, I think to understand the reason I’m reluctant to be a Golf enthusiast you have to look at the reasons I bought the car. It was bought for practical reasons, to commute quickly and safely over the M62. It did that admirably clocking 40 odd thousand miles in the first 18 months. It was a car to respect in its capabilities and build quality but it was also fun to drive. That’s the reason I kept it. Enjoyable retro driving is what I want from the car now.
I didn’t buy it because I wanted it, I needed it at the time and grew to like it and kept it.

Reply #283
I'm a bit stuck today, I wanted to work on the O/S paint correction but it is raining so I can't get the car out to move it across the garage.  So having a bit of a sort out and looking at the odd ball jobs.
I noticed in a recent photo that the rear light clusters were scratched much like the paint.  So I decided to find out how they would respond to a machine polish and ceramic coat:

Pretty well actually, the picture fails to capture the gloss but you can see it is reflecting my storage racks.

Reply #284
Cleaning off black trim products; yuk, what a job.  O/S gutter and window seals made this mess:

I think they look better clean: