Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16409 times) previous topic - next topic

Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Back in 1989 I was looking for a car to get me to work and back reliably and swiftly.  I was making a return journey from West Yorks to Leigh Lancs daily and my XR2 was smoking badly.  Test drove 205 GTi, investigated Honda CRX but couldn't get a drive, drove Corolla Gti and test drove Golf GTi.  Golf felt the strongest so the haggling began.

I made the mistake of not going for a 16v, thought the usable torque of an 8v would be what I needed, after a bit of haggling a 10% discount and mats and flaps and a delivery date of early September was agreed ( they also gave me a respectable trade in on my dying XR2).  The car arrived on time and felt so much stronger than anything else I had driven at the time.  But it wasn't great, I had over 20 warranty claims in the short 12 month warranty period.  I've lost the records but it definitely used to like to open doors and the boot hatch on the motorway and the drivers seat began to wear through very quickly.  It was all sorted for me though.

I drove over nearly 40k miles in the first 18 months and the car was looking tired, rust forming in joints etc.  However I found a job with a company car and garaged the Golf for use at weekends.  In practice it spent more of its time in bits having rust rubbed off.  Discovered and fixed the rust spot at the bottom of the A post and also rust converted and painted inside the sun roof drip tray.  strictly functional repairs the Smoothrite brush strokes are still noticeable today but the rust, on the whole hasn't come back.  Also replaced terminals on a large number of engine bay electrical connectors.

Driven for pleasure for a number of years not many more miles were added until I took a year out to study then it piled on a further 20K miles.  By now it was a very reliable motor. 

Then in the late 90s the gearbox failed, had to pay for a full rebuild but the oil kept showing signs of metal contamination.  Having lost confidence the Golf sta for many years only being used occasionally and in 2007 was replaced with a new fun motor.  However I kept the Golf.

I started alternating my drive for pleasure cars, one year on, one year off but the Golf kept coming back from the MOT testers with reports of oil leaks.

Also the clutch was juddering a bit, main crank seal leak so three years ago I decided to fix it:

Still on with the job but set myself the target of sitting here again next spring:

Gordon, one owner from new, just short of 90k miles, used not abused, never broken into and never crashed.

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #1
What a cracking car you have.  Mine should look exactly like this but sadly some of it's previous owners have been less than kind to it  :(  :( 
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #3
Little beauty........must have a name by now?

isn’t the name in the thread title??? 🤣🤣
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #4

It’s an age thing, I even remember reading it earlier .....reading what?

Reply #6

It’s an age thing, I even remember reading it earlier .....reading what?

I know how you feel. I’d forget my head if it wasn’t screwed on but I know where every spare part I have stashed away is 🤣🤣

Reply #7
You sure it's not a drink thing!

Haven't heard anyone use that expression about having your head screwed on in years, always thought it was a Northern Irish saying?

Reply #8
Gordon has lost a bit of weight recently:

Reply #11
Now for the tedious bit before I start bolting bits back on.  The bits that have come off and have had some attention.
The starter motor, started when it wanted to, or rather wouldn't start for a while when it was most inconvenient.  Overhauled it, fit a new solenoid and gave it a coat of paint.  Now works fine every time on the bench.

Reply #12
A while ago I was posting pictures of the car and I noticed my mud flaps were missing.  Very much part of the car they were haggled for new; I eventually tracked them down in a box of old bits.  Very rusty in a sorry state with numerous stripped threads I set about rust converting, painting and coiling.

Reply #13
I love seeing parts getting refurbished.
Good work on the starter too, too many people just throw away the parts and change out for new.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #14
Bonnet spring and catch, it worked fine but looked a mess, rust removed and plated: