Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16439 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #195
Yes, cleaned it off completely, touched in any rust then put new back on again. 

I even tried to replicate the factory dribble down the turret. You asking suggests it's moderately authentic.  Pleased about that :-).

Reply #196
Your attention to detail is borderline obsessive and I'm 100% here for it!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #197
Been repairing my O/S lighting harness.  N/S is fine but O/S was corroded and the insulation had gone brittle.  These have previous repairs.  Having the engine draw air past them appears to do nothing for their well being:

Spliced in new wires, crimped on new terminals and swapped an unused good earth with a bad used earth:

Tubed it all (put a new 20mm ID tube over the split factory 18mm tube), fit connectors and installed it:

It's about 4 years since it came out and I made notes but they are rubbish.  Does it all just go in the air collection box and connect up?  Unsure about spot lamp and indicator connections, thank you.

Reply #199
Took advantage of the spare time after Christmas and put the front end back on and tested the wire harness repairs.

Just one earth splice wasn't earthed but I did splice one into a spare brown wire cut short at the factory near a factory earth splice.  Think I connected to a factory defect.  Reworked it and the lights, horns, indicators and alarm are working fine.

Not sure I have the harness routing correct though.  If any of you have factory routing a couple of pictures on this thread would be much appreciated, https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=1243.0  Thank you.

Reply #200
Just read from start to present. Love the effort that has gone into this and eally appreciate the repair not replace attitude. 4 years, not sure how you kept motivatited!

Reply #201
Just read from start to present. Love the effort that has gone into this and really appreciate the repair not replace attitude. 4 years, not sure how you kept motivated!
I wish it were just 4 years, I discovered the original pictures posted at the beginning of the thread, they were taken in 2014.  The car saw a little bit of action in 2016, but it has not been used since.
One of the big mistakes I made was starting this in a lockup without power or water, everything has been manual or at best battery tools.  Also life gets in the way and our other cars are getting very old and need constant attention, 2003, 2005 and 2007.  I still believe I'm on for an April MOT though.
That said the weather is holding me up at the moment, big changes in temperature and humidity are causing condensation.  I have to check long-term forecasts before grinding off under-seal.  You can probably tell be my tone that my motivation is waning a little?

Reply #202
I know just how you feel.
I had a few days off around November (when we had that little cold snap).
Twice I couldn't be bothered to go to my unit and a third, I got there, walked in the unit felt the cold and then came back out and went home!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #203
I know just how you feel.
I had a few days off around November (when we had that little cold snap).
Twice I couldn't be bothered to go to my unit and a third, I got there, walked in the unit felt the cold and then came back out and went home!
It's not the cold that is stopping me it's the damage to the car.  It's cold today but the forecast is for mild and damp weather tomorrow.  If I ground off under-seal today I would only get it to the rust conversion stage today.  Tomorrow the cold car would condense allover it's rust conversion and I would have to start again.
I need about three days of cold weather or three days of mild weather when the car has warmed up.  Looks like I'm off until next Monday.

Reply #204
Ahh, I see what you mean now.
We had a similar issue many moons ago.
We left a small heater on (didn't pay for the electricity) in the middle of the unit.
So if it caught fire, it would be the only thing that burnt.
Came in the next day, it was frozen outside, but lovely and warm inside!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #205
This is one for the future:

I'm cleaning the underside at the back and I know I'm going to need, part or parts of, one of these in the future; both bottom corners are rusting in the joints around the holes for the bumper irons.

Reply #206
Been cleaning up the last bit of underside.  Mocked it up today and marked out where not to apply sealer.  Ran out of the stuff so now waiting for a sealer delivery.

Reply #207
Didn't know you had a mini too.
Is that one getting the same treatment?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #208
Yes, 1985 Mini City, bought it new, but dumped it in the garden for 20 odd years.  That was a bad move, until then it was like the Golf, well used but clean and complete.  Now it needs extensive welding.  It was my project until I decided to change some oil seals on the Golf.
Hasn't progressed for years but I'll be back on the case as soon as the Golf is finished.

Reply #209