Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16184 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #225
I could perhaps have taken a little more care; only me and the MOT tester.  However they were scrap and now they fit and hang perfectly. 

I want to fit them but I have a feeling a brake pipe runs over the top of the front one?

Reply #226
@mk24ever these are my answers to some of your questions in the thread Red Rescue.  Posting my answers here avoids possibly contradictory advice on somebody else's thread.

The surface finish is wrong and the number of dimples is wrong on the golf ball gear knob in the link you provided; that said if I didn't have an original I'd fit one.  Factory original:

My plastic parts are thoroughly cleaned and protected with a ceramic coat, Gtechniq c4:

VW extensively used grade 10.9 screws and some higher grades.  These must not be replaced with stainless steel.  I purchase 10.9 grade screws to the size specified in 7zap VW https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1989-92/ then remove the modern plating and replace with zinc and yellow, clear or black passivate as the original factory bolts.  These are new rear beam screws supplied grey coloured but originally yellow from the factory:

Edit, I know @mk24ever you have misquoted me elsewhere but here is a simple overview to put some clarity in to my advice https://leytonfasteners.co.uk/different-grades-of-high-tensile-bolts/

I removed the pins from my rear emblem and secured it with double sided 3M tape.  I don't have a picture but the tape is not noticeable.

There is a guide to electrolysis on the forum https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=943.msg9071#msg9071 .  To illustrate my answer to your question there this is a selection of original parts bought rusted from a breaker and now prepared for fitting to my MK2.  Electrolysis removed the rust, brick acid removed the old zinc, I plated new zinc and passivated yellow or clear depending on the OEM finish:

I think also I have spotted a challenge or two?

Reply #227
Good work with the heat shields, must admit, I need to source a set, someone removed all of mine a while back!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #228
Good work with the heat shields, must admit, I need to source a set, someone removed all of mine a while back!
Mk2 Spares have the bulkhead, front long tunnel and rear most shields. Matt retrieved them for me. They are not as bad as mine but do need work. I decided to put a bit more effort in and restore the originals. Instagram is the way to make contact with Matt.

Reply #229
@mk24ever in answer to this:

"why are you guys putting so much effort in fixing frames ?
wouldn't it be more effective to transform a cl with a good one ?"

Well because we throw salt all over the road we don't have good ones after 30 years of abuse.  Also because we detached ourselves from Europe we don't have access to European good ones, Enjoy observing our efforts:

Edit, the s h i t front engine mount had a thread strip out when checking torques so I replaced it with a very reasonably priced Febi hydro mount.  Very nice item; if that is it is acceptable to get excited about a lump of metal, rubber and oil?

Reply #230
i had hex head tapping screws (iso 1479) in mind.
in the wheelhouse, they are especially suceptible to rust.
those i take in stainless (uk dealer).

Reply #231
i had hex head tapping screws (iso 1479) in mind.
in the wheelhouse, they are especially suceptible to rust.
those i take in stainless (uk dealer).
They are not high tensile so they are fine in stainless.  With a coat of satin black paint they look OEM.

Reply #232
My heat shields were full of holes; tiny ones visible when I held the shields up to the light.  Also they flexed very easily.  To slow the rot and stop them fatiguing and breaking  I have reinforced the top with fiberglass.

The bit that can be seen when fitted has had a coat of silver Smoothrite.  Should amuse the MOT tester  :D

Reply #233
Significant progress, the engine bay is finished.  I just need to trim tie-wraps and fix any leaks when I start it.  Probably a few weeks away now:

Reply #234
Back on with the Golf this week.  Been working out what OEM bends on the brake lines may have looked like.  One of my efforts from years ago was not far off.

Reply #235
I remember doing the same job circa 18 years ago. My bends are probably worse than your's.
The Golf failed its MOT and true to form it was bitter cold and to do the job I put the car on axle stands on the drive....NICE!
Really struggled getting the nut undone due to its position. Best tip someone shared to get the old ones off was to cut the pipe and use a socket.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #236
A fraction too long but I can sharpen the first bend a little.  That is a mock up to make sure I can get the bends and then to test the fit on the car.

@AndyBa that is the pipe bending tool that I mentioned yesterday.  Working over the diagram I can get the bends quite close.

Reply #237
Working with two 2 m lengths of straight pipe in the kitchen that is as good as it is going to get.  Now to fit them to the car.  The front joints will be flared on the car.

Reply #238
I remember doing the same job circa 18 years ago. My bends are probably worse than your's.
The Golf failed its MOT and true to form it was bitter cold and to do the job I put the car on axle stands on the drive....NICE!
Really struggled getting the nut undone due to its position. Best tip someone shared to get the old ones off was to cut the pipe and use a socket.

I put a smear of grease on the threads.  If you keep it off the pipe end it can't get into the brake fluid.  Never have any problems removing pipes fitted with a bit of grease on the threads.

Stubborn ones, yes snap off the pipe and get a 6 side socket to it.  If you want to save the pipe a 6 side pipe spanner does a good job.

Reply #239
Finalised my wiring at long last; as near to factory as I can get it but including 1990s aftermarket alarm: