Skip to main content
Topic: Driver (Read 1653 times) previous topic - next topic

Driver

Thanks to eddypeck

The VW Golf Driver was the sporty looking model with out the performance.
Aimed at those that perhaps could afford to purchase or insure a GTI.

This kind of approach is still taken today, with the likes of the S-Line Audi's which mimic (in toned down form) the appearance and trim level of S3, S4 etc.

And Fords ST-Line which clearly aren't STs - The unfortunate badging on these makes it unclear if the L for Line is an L or an I, and who wants to drive a car badged as an Sexually Transmitted Infection.

The Driver was offered in both 3 and 5 door, and with 1.6 and 1.8 8v Carbed engines. And had 4 speed gearbox with overdrive+E (I believe Auto was also an option).

Whilst other models were offered in various spec as special or limited editions the Driver model was consistently offered throughout the life of the MK2.

It came with the quad headlight grill like the GTI but unlike the GTI it didn't have the red trim and had a Driver badge where the GTI grill badge would be. The bumpers were also lacking the red trim.

It also had arch trims and side rub strips to match the GTI but when the GTI went to Big Bumper (90 spec) in late 1989 the Driver remained as a small bumper model.

Inside you also didn't quite get GTI experience.

The seats lacked the larger bolsters of the GTI but the Driver did have unique designs for the upholstery and door cards, the trim changed over the years but the designs were always quite nice and later ones had a check pattern as homage to the GTI.

The headlining, sun-visors and pillar covers were all in the beige trim of other models also.

Standard Exterior Equipment:

Available in three or five doors,
six colors available:
    Alpine white
    Tornado red
    Black
    Helios Blue metallic*
    Pewler gray metallic* (not sure on this Pewter?)
    Marathon blue metallic*
14 "steel rims with small central cover
185/60 tyres
Black arch trims
Black bumpers, side strips and mirrors
Grille with four headlights,
Back windshield wiper,
"Driver" logos on grille and tailgate.

Standard interior equipment:
Specific gray / blue upholstery
Panasonic cassette radio (Euro spec, UK often came without?)
Four-spoke sports steering wheel
Center console with cigarette lighter
Analog clock (no tachometer)
Driver's seat with height adjustment

Options:
Optional power steering
Sport front seats
Central locking
Headlight washers
Electric and heated mirrors
Steel sunroof
*Metallic paint

Please feel free to add any further comments or suggest corrections.

National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Re: Driver

Reply #1
Just to add my 92 auto Driver came with a taco.  But given that its a 92 they threw almost all the options at it probably to get it off the forecourt. Also it came with a Blaupunkt stereo not the normal Panasonic that my other Mk2’s came with.
If its not got a VAG badge, I aint interested.

Reply #2
Just to add my 92 auto Driver came with a taco.  But given that its a 92 they threw almost all the options at it probably to get it off the forecourt. Also it came with a Blaupunkt stereo not the normal Panasonic that my other Mk2’s came with.

That’s always a possibility..........Think that the Rev counter was always an optional extra

Reply #3
My 90 Driver has a 5-speed gearbox.

Reply #4
I also recall seeing plastic wheel rim covers. My mate had a black F reg one with them on. But as I recall they didn't come on the run-out 1.8 model.
Montana Green was a run-out colour
Had a look on Google images to jog my memory.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #5
I don't recall Drivers with plastic wheel covers.  From memory they had 8v GTi wheels tyres and trims.. I remember a road test at the time stating that they were fitted with expensive rubber for a car without any sporting pretensions.
I would imagine a good Driver is quite sought after now.

Reply #6
Unless alloys were specified as an option I'd expect the majority left the dealership with steel wheels, centre caps (and I think beauty rings) as shown here.
https://issuu.com/vwgolfmk2oc/docs/1991ukgtdanddriver

Don't forget there's a whole range of Original Sales brochures here. https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=10.0