Skip to main content
Topic: Beloved... (Read 740 times) previous topic - next topic

Beloved...

Why are nigh on every MK1/MK2 that's being sold described as 'beloved'?

Re: Beloved...

Reply #1
It's the 2020 version of "one careful lady owner".  Trying to make potential buyers feel like it would break the owners heart if they thought about haggling over the price!!
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #2
Borderline gives the ads an obituary feel about them... like the careful lady has just recently moved on!

Reply #3
Why are nigh on every MK1/MK2 that's being sold described as 'beloved'?

Because the others are only their “pride and joy” which they have owned for a whole year

I have been mulling over the one owner thing, does it make a car better. What if that owner was Mad Max?.., do number of previous really matter?

Reply #4
Number of owners is a concern for me with an older car for the following reasons:

1. What’s wrong with it, why didn’t anyone keep it long?

2. If the car has been ‘owner maintained’ then there’s more people that have potentially messed with it. Especially when one owner tries to fix a previous owner bodge. I’d rather a high mileage low owner than a low mileage many owner vehicle.

3. As above but if the car has modifications or accessories...

4. Missing parts, keys and documents. When a car changes hands inevitably the document wallet, handbook and any history, spare key, or the odd non essential bit of trim that was temporarily removed gets left behind and lost.

5. Other people’s rubbish, different people have different standards and personal habits. They also have kids and pets and the build up of grime feels worse when it’s from a collection of sources.

So one careful, clean and hoped honest previous owner that has saved every receipt and bill from day one and l knows the car, faults and all wins hands down for me.

That said my current one has had many many owners  lol

Reply #5
Yes but the one owner could be a Mac Donald’s dumping, coffee spilling, smoker, make up doing fat person who stretches the seats , who  thinks a car is for just getting from a to be and Polish is someone from Russia .. that’s sounds a bit like me , minus the make up ..... sometimes

Reply #6
My MK2 had a folder with every receipt from new.  Then I discovered receipts from the 90s made good fire lighters.  The entire history is now in my head. Ah well; won't be my problem.
The point is some cars without history can still be good.

Reply #7
Famous past owners is one I'm not sure about - depends who it was I suppose.

Sir Stirling Moss's old 205 GTI was up for auction recently, not sure how it did in the end.

Someone famous in motoring might just get me to dig a little deeper or choose one car over another, though it wouldn't be a given.

Reply #8
I was pretty anal with mine, every receipt I spent on parts, every MOT (never failed), both keys and keyfobs, every original part kept, service book fully stamped to the point I started writing in the back of the book with dates and stuff that was done, previous V5 slip, only had one owner before me, well technically 2 as it was a company car that the bloke who used it bought from the company, full wallet with all the manuals as well.

Owned for 20 years!!

Reply #9
Stirling's 205 seemed to do OK at the auction....

Auction Result

I've had my Golf 24 years, I'm the 3Rd owner. It has gone from my 25K pa daily to Mumsy runaround to static on the drive for circa 5 years back to my "drive of choice".
I religiously serviced it at first but am kicking myself I didn't dowse it with copious amounts of wax underneath and feed the paintwork before it went pink and needed a respray.
Yes it's beloved to me, but probably not in anyone else's eyes. I think it's a keeper!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #10
It didn't half do well... seems to be a very good, original example in its own right but even so someone was obviously happy to pay a reasonable premium for its back story.

Could have been bought for any number of reasons... museum, investor etc. but if it was a 'normal' person intending to use it I think you might be in a dilemma as to how to maintain it's integrity and enjoy it yourself at the same time.

Pro's and cons I suppose, boils down to what's important to you in the end.