Skip to main content
Topic: Investing in classic cars... (Read 500 times) previous topic - next topic

Investing in classic cars...

New one on me but maybe its been going on for a while - seems to be ever more ways (of sorts) to get into classics...

https://thecarcrowd.co.uk/

Re: Investing in classic cars...

Reply #1
I used to be self employed, 2002-2007 and used to go to various network meetings to try and get business. I remember meeting a guy there who ran some members club thing where you paid monthly and then had access to a selection of high end classic cars. There were levels of membership if I remember right. So you didn't need to own one or worry about maintenance, it was like a subscription based hire service.

Oh, I think I'll take the Rolls into the country side for a picnic this weekend....

I assume the success fo the club allowed him to purchase more stock. Different to what you have here but thought it was worth a mention.

Reply #2
My minted cousin was in a car club and had the choice of some seriously exotic beasts.... wasn’t cheap but he had one for a few days each month....
I don’t understand how the ever increasing values of classics can be sustained, I have always had classic cars, but the cars are beyond my reach now... I can’t be the only one

Reply #3
I wonder if that was the same club I'm on about? I've got the idea it was a few hundred pounds a month, but yes, as you say you got a great pick of motors.

There's obviously some top end exotic motors that will continue to make major money, but there's still a lot of everyday classics that seem to be ridiculously cheap on the scale of things. Maybe they weren't that popular in the first place.

I was always of the opinion that when a mk2 Golf was a grand for a good one, it made it a great option. But as I see prices increase I still feel there's 'better' or more interesting classic cars out there for the money. I know I've said this before but when good examples seem to now be £8-10k, a quick look on eBay in classic cars in that price band and there's plenty I'd have. 80s and 90s stuff is popular but like the older classics I'm sure they're beginning to level off.

Reply #4
Classic car ownership in cities is going to become more of a challenge so being in a club could be the way to go.

As an example, in October 2021 they are expanding the emmission zone in London out the North/South circular roads and any vehicle that doesn't meet the emmission level (Euro 4 for petrol and Euro 6 for diesel) will be charged £12.50 a day to enter.

This is going to take a significant number of cars off the road (stuff like old Fords and Nissans being crushed will make the workd a better place  :))  :)) ) but imagine if you have a Mk2 as a daily and live within the expansion zone.  It would more than likely mean that it becomes uneconomical to own so the only way you could get a "classic fix" is to rent one on a sunny day.

The new zone will be less than 5 miles from where I live and I know it is only a matter of time before the boundary starts creeping out towards the M25.  If that happens, I will be resigned to keeping the car hidden away in the garage and every so often going to sit inside it and make brum brum noises..............................................
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #5
Regarding Low Emission Zone (LEZ) (and Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) I'm not sure?) as I understand it you can get your vehicle tested and if it passes the requirements you can get an exemption letter.

In doing so you set a precedence for other owners of the same vehicle. I know this through chatter on a biker group I'm in where our kind of bike was excluded but he challenged the system and got us added to the list. I'm not 100% sure what's involved but worth looking into if it's going to effect you.

I'm not saying a Mk2 would pass, but you never know some of these old vehicles aren't as bad as they made out.