Skip to main content
Topic: Historic Vehicles and Black Silver number plates (Read 412 times) previous topic - next topic

Historic Vehicles and Black Silver number plates

There's still a few years before the earliest of Mk2, hit historic status so this is more for those of you that own other older vehicles:

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/changes-to-black-silver-number-plates-from-01012021?fbclid=IwAR1xULLI0aBm4zYs_uESNYmSxlS2Y6_gliYQWzwr755W-OtLTPtvV8cSvzo

In summary, when they brought out the rolling 40 year rule the Gov didn't think about the previous rule on pre 1973 black and silver number plates.

Meaning as soon as you hit the 40 year mark and applied for historic status you could legally fit an old style black and silver set of plates, even if your vehicles was build after '73. So, this is now being addressed with 1980 as the cut off point so even in a few years time when our cars start to qualify we'll still be restricted to white and yellow with black lettering.

Re: Historic Vehicles and Black Silver number plates

Reply #1
I personally think black and white plates look awful on non period vehicles , my old z now qualifies but it would look so wrong....On a mk2 good god😌

Re: Historic Vehicles and Black Silver number plates

Reply #2
Had them on my Beetle, that was a 72, so was allowed even through it probably started life with Yellow and white. But I agree, they certainly look out of place on on more modern stuff and wouldn't look right on a mk2.

i think it would look right on your z, a mate had a Kawasaki W800, although an early 2000s bike it's an old Triumph Copy pretty much, he bought a dateless private plate and runs it with a black and silver plate. So technically this is NOT allowed, but it looks the part.

Had I kept the GS (for which I'm really kicking myself about - but needed to part with it as part of my plan) as an '80s model that would be TAX and MOT exempt now and I would have been more than happy to fit a black and silver plate on that. I think it would have suited it.