Skip to main content
Topic: Hello from Melbourne (Read 1286 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello from Melbourne

Hi all

I have a 1988 16v GTI 3dr.  I picked it up late last year and it was a very lucky buy, as there are only 3-4 16v GTIs in Australia.

The car is pretty damn clean and straight and my goal is to take it back to stock (except the RAs can stay).  It won’t take much, but has a miltek exhaust, 1/2 smoked lights, sport line steering wheel, CL type front spoiler, etc.

I also have a 1976 Mk1 and have previously owned a Mk2 8v GTI, so not new to the golf game

Cheers
Bryce

Re: Hello from Melbourne

Reply #2
Welcome!

That looks in great condition, good purchase!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Yup... very envious, I can hardly see out the window for the amount of rain running down it!

Agree with you on the RA's, near perfect on a MK2.

Reply #4
Welcome! That looks bloody lovely. Any more pics from the rear of that exhaust? It seems hard to find one that fits nice on a small bumper and that looks really nice from the angle above.

Reply #5
Nice looking car, RAs are OEM...im sure...  but not the polo steering wheel..(ive got same in my mk1 sportline.)  And wow such low numbers of 16ver in oz..thought there'd be more.

Reply #6
Welcome, looks gorgeous ..should imagine you won’t have the rust issues we have but the pink fade must be worse.... I once had a set of 14” Ras which were off of something like a polo Gti... Bottletops are quite smart though .
If you go for an oem steering wheel are you aware of the PAS wheel?

Reply #8
Thanks for the welcome.  There is a tiny bit of rust on the lower rear valance, which will get dealt with one day, no salt here, so not too much of a hurry.  The red will fade if left unattended, but I will be polishing and waxing twice a year.

Welcome! That looks bloody lovely. Any more pics from the rear of that exhaust? It seems hard to find one that fits nice on a small bumper and that looks really nice from the angle above.

Here is a pic of the exhaust.  I am actually thinking of removing the miltek and going standard.  Its a little loud on the freeway

Welcome, looks gorgeous ..should imagine you won’t have the rust issues we have but the pink fade must be worse.... I once had a set of 14” Ras which were off of something like a polo Gti... Bottletops are quite smart though .
If you go for an oem steering wheel are you aware of the PAS wheel?

PAS wheel?  I have found a stock wheel.  It is a GTI wheel with the 'round' holes, not the 'triangle' holes.  I just need to track down the correct horn button, but its proving difficult as many of the UK suppliers don't ship to Australia, or maybe they are just busy dealing with lockdown?

Reply #9
The pas wheel has the two bottom spokes vertical, non pas have the bottom spokes at 5 and 7 o’clock if that makes sense .. most people aren’t aware though , pretty sure if you wanted anything in the UK we would be able to forward it on . My daughter is in Aus and it’s not cheap to send stuff ..

Here is a PAS wheel,

https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replacement-parts/mk2-vw-golf-steering-wheel/1368691989

Reply #10
Interesting, I thought that was the ‘std’ wheel as all the PAS GTIs that came out here in Australia (they were all 5dr 8v) had that wheel.

The one my car originally came with, based on an early pre-mod photo is the one here

I am currently hunting the horn cover with the diagonal stripes. Part number 191 419 669E

Reply #11
It’s a subtle difference , just the angle of the bottom spokes , otherwise they are identical ... there was a leather covered wheel also ... have you asked the bloke in the link if he would post? The whole wheel is only £20

Reply #12
Cheers for posting that pic of the exhaust - in my eyes that is the perfect upgraded exhaust on a small bumper: Slanty pipes, no huge back box and tucked up nice and tight to the bumper line.

Reply #14
Interesting, I thought that was the ‘std’ wheel as all the PAS GTIs that came out here in Australia (they were all 5dr 8v) had that wheel.

I know there are regional variations, I have a digital copy of Australian sales brochure somewhere (got a new computer so might be archived) I'll try look it up and see if it sheds any light on factory spec.

[UPDATE:] I've found it and published it to the OEM brochure list under 1990: https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=10.0