Skip to main content
Topic: Bluetooth and original "Gamma" style radios?  (Read 2918 times) previous topic - next topic

Bluetooth and original "Gamma" style radios?

Hi,

Anyone got on any ideas/tips on achieving bluetooth music through stock "Gamma" style head units? I've got a few VWs and like the look of the stock style headunits. They also don't drain my battery as quickly as the other units - bonus! I've got a Gamma 4, Gamma in the mk4 and Gamma 2 for the mk2.

I've thought about the parrot kit but wondering if there are any other cheaper/better alternatives?

Cheers
Matt

Re: Bluetooth and original "Gamma" style radios?

Reply #1
Funny you should have posted this, but whilst looking for something else this popped up as a linked product.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ieGeek-Bluetooth-Digital-Handsfree-Wireless-Black/dp/B08DKLFZVF

Might not be perfect, but I thought it looked quite 'retro'. The downside is there's no CD or Cassette so if you like a bit of old school too that could be a blocker.

Reply #2
That does look quite nice but I am sucker for an OEM style retro radio. I've got these sorts of things below. They aren't UK market but the plastic suits the OEM plastic nicely and they don't drain the car battery as quickly as all of the modern units I've installed in my cars.

Reply #3
Depends on what you're after, but if it's just the basic ability to stream from your phone give this a read...

https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=285.msg1254#msg1254

I've had a chance to use this a bit more since that last post and have found out if you leave the adapter set to 'off' and ensure you eject it when you're not using it anymore it'll automatically shut down.

When you want to listen again just insert the adapter as you would a cassette and it automatically comes back to life, connecting to your phone without the need to do anything.

I'd a look at it again last night and despite sitting inactive in the car for 2 - 3 months it was still 80% charged.

I've found I was getting 3 -4 hours use before it ran down and charges back to near full 30 - 40 mins.

It also charges up to 100% now, despite what I wrote before - on my phone at least (which is getting on a bit now), it shows the charge volume for anything that's connected via bluetooth.

Reply #5
Hmm L90E that seems a simple enough soution that I could transport from car to car - bonus! I thought those tape things were wired only so good to see they are wireless as wired wouldn't work for me.

t2000 - lovely unit and well suited to the mk2 but a bit pricey for me.

Reply #6
I had a cassette thingy, sound was good but the cassette motor rattling away was horrific ... settled for an old school blaupunkt with an aux in for the  phone , Haven’t tried it yet but another option would be a Bluetooth connector plugged in to give more control?

Reply #7
It's a shame there's not some sort of gadget that plugs into the ISO loom. I've already got my head units and spent quite a bit of time searching for them!

I think I'll try the tape option if I can't find something that wires in. The Parrot kit might be an option as well.

Reply #8
It's a shame there's not some sort of gadget that plugs into the ISO loom. I've already got my head units and spent quite a bit of time searching for them!

I think I'll try the tape option if I can't find something that wires in. The Parrot kit might be an option as well.

I know very little about connection ..Might take some research but there are many magic black boxes which can be plugged into older stereos ..this sort of thing if you have a changer input
https://www.banggood.com/Biurlink-Car-Radio-Bluetooth-MINI-ISO-8Pin-Plug-Wireless-Aux-in-Adapter-Cable-for-Volkswagen-Blapunkt-p-1619999.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=GB&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-gb-en-pc&currency=GBP&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1

Reply #9
Gamma 4's seems to have a few choices of add ons to allow blue tooth, but Gamma 3's and down have nothing specific that I can find.

They're pretty basic sets from a time with no aux-in and CD changer capability belonged to the high end models.

I think there was a US market version of the 3 that could run a seperate CD changer (plus a single CD player version) but hard to find and expensive if you do.

Have found this seller, he's on eBay.de and if I've once again understood correctly he can hard wire aux-in / blue tooth into all ages of Gamma / Beta and Alpha plus others.

This is a finished auction for the Gamma 3 he was doing, (he's still active but advertising newer sets with the same adaptation) and once again if I've understood correctly that price is for an already converted set, not just a service to do your own for you.

Price and location probably make it totally impracticable, but at least you know it's doable.

eBay.de

Reply #10
This is nearly there - but still requires an AUX socket on the headunit. I like the neat idea behind this too - ISO power so nice and discreet behind unit. This would be perfect for a headunit that had  a rear mounted AUX socket. I have an older Pioneer in mine - looks quite standard and a good matching green but I yearn for a VW unit with AUX like yourself really?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Radio-Adapter-CABLE-MP3-Car/dp/B01B3F1R66

Reply #12
No, I've got a tape bluetooth in the 205, it works a treat with my particular phone and stereo. Probably going to get a second one for the MK2 rather than worry about moving it from car to car, they're so cheap.

The conversion on eBay.de adds an aux-in to the Gamma 3 (and presumably others on request), the lead in the image below isn't on the original unit, he presumably does whatever he does to the internals themselves.

Reply #13
hmmmm interesting! The German chap is exactly what I'd love to do the units. Would be nice to find someone in the UK really.. or a how to as I'm happy with a solider iron but would probably rather outsource this job due to the value of the head units.

Suprised this isn't a more in demand thing, in line with perhaps upgraded internals of a stock head unit - keep the fascia upgrade the internals. Although I suppose it really is a VW thing as i don't recall other stock units from the 90s and 00's being a nice as ours.

Reply #14
Has anyone been watching 'Mend it for Money'? not sure what channel, it's like the repair shop but for greedy people instead of sentimental ones. Anyway, the guy restored an old radio gram, and put in a bluetooth unit - was impressive but looked like a lot of work. Ok if you know how to handle a soldering iron I'm sure.