Skip to main content
Topic: New 86 1.3 CL owner West Midlands (Read 855 times) previous topic - next topic

New 86 1.3 CL owner West Midlands

Hello,

Picked up my first MK2 Golf yesterday, a 5dr 86 1.3 CL. 1 owner, 28K miles though has been standing for a few years. Runs and drives and is motd, but needs a bit of tlc. In the past I had a MK1 Golf Cab for years and more recently I had a MK2 Polo Saloon.

Hoping to get this car sorted over the next couple of months, just hope there are some shows happening this year! I'll post in parts wanted as well, but if anyone has some spare rubber window surrounds, scrapers and the metal strips that run along where the door meets the window (basically all the bits that brave the elements) please pm me, my car is anything but watertight at the moment! 

Cheers,

Danny

Re: New 86 1.3 CL owner West Midlands

Reply #1
Hi Danny welcome to the Club.

Mk2 Spares is always good for parts.  Hopefully you’ll start a build thread :)

Shelly
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #4
that's some low miles! hope it's a a great example.

here's some info on water leaks:
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=136.0

Cheers for the link! It's OK needs a bit of tidying up but I'm getting there with it! Here are some pictures of when I first got it, plan is to keep it totally stock apart from some putting on some 'baby g60' wheels which I picked up at the weekend. Needs a bad weld grinding off and redoing on the sill but otherwise its really solid.

@vw-widow Shelly I hadn't really thought about starting a build thread but maybe that'd be cool! It's only tidying up rust patches etc (I hope!), would kinda stuff be enough to justify a thread??

Cheers!

upload an image

Reply #5
think i saw  some of those wheels on ebay/facebook market place 4  with caps.. in chesterfield.  The bumpers will clean up nicely with usual treatments i reckon, heat,linseed oil. 

Reply #6
think i saw  some of those wheels on ebay/facebook market place 4  with caps.. in chesterfield.  The bumpers will clean up nicely with usual treatments i reckon, heat,linseed oil. 

Hello again @Kenneth cartwright 👍 when you say treatment such as heat how do you mean? Can I sort the kinda warped back bumper using a heat gun??

Reply #8
Yes, a good clean and polish will see that coming up well, espcially with the bumpers and black trim resotered.....

But (sorry Ken) please don't use a heat gun to bring back plastics. It does more long term harm than short term good.

The science behind it is....

Plastic is made from oil. The natural oils that are in the plastic have been lost from the surface of the plastic due to UV exposure and years of weather. The heat gun warms the plastic and releases the naturally occurring oils from deeper in the plastic and brings them to the surface restoring the dark appearance instead of the sun bleached look. Desired result achieved which is why people often recommend it.

However, it's only a temporary fix, once done they fade quicker the next time and go lighter each time till they're virtually white and the more you do it the more oil you remove from the chemical structure of the plastic itself making them hard and brittle.

Not to mention if your technique is not perfect you also risk removing the textured surface of the trim, as the plastic heats it begins to melt and too much heat can see the surface begin to smooth out.

Once the plastic has been heat treated in this way you'll find it's less welcoming to other treatments. Creams, dies or coatings just won't stay.

Solution Finish is one of the most highly rated products, it's expensive for a tiny bottle but by all accounts goes a long way. I haven't personally used this so can't comment.

I have however used Forever black, both this and solution finish are a permanent black dye. With a good clean and degrease of the trims the dye takes really well. However on one trim I had that had previously been heat gunned within an inch of it's life, the dye would not take.

Reply #9
@Eddypeck cheers for the info that's really interesting, when I get round to the bumpers + trim I defintely pick up some of that Forever Black you mentioned, the trim in the photo you've attached looks lovely.

When I got the car it was flooded (water coming from blower - my Mk1 did the same) so I kinda started from the inside of the car. Thankfully the floor hadn't rotted out. Now that's sorted I'm working on the little rust patches that are here and there. Once I've done what I can I'll take the car to be welded and then I'll either have it detailed or have a go myself and see how well the paint comes up. I think the clear coat will sanding back and redoing in a few places where it has started to fail.

Can't wait to drive it, I reversed it about a metre, realised how wet it was and immediately started stripping it!