Skip to main content
Topic: Nige t - 1989 Golf GTI 5-Door (Read 1582 times) previous topic - next topic

Nige t - 1989 Golf GTI 5-Door

Hi All,
Having owned my car for over a year (June 18)I thought it was about time I started a build thread. First a photo from just after I picked the car up. The bodywork looks pretty good in the photo but not so good up close.

I then started getting the jobs done to pass an MOT. Which included the following
New n/s headlight
Second hand w/screen wiper stalk
Welding n/s/f inner wheel arch
This also included replacing most of the cooling system as the car was overheating according to the gauge.
Once all the work had been completed I got an MOT in September 2018.
After driving the car for a couple of months I decided the car was worth keeping and I would get all the bodywork sorted out.
Photos of the car in the body shop.

This included
New front lower panel
New rear panel
New driver door
New sills
Second-hand rear doors( new ones not available)

A few more photos from when the car was in for the bodywork.
The second hand rear doors.

Brand new drivers door

The car was in the body shop from the end of November 2018 until early January 2019. While it was off the road I got the driver seat repaired as it was worn in the usual places.

before

after

I also had to get another sunroof wind deflector and side arms (thankyou MalC) as the old one was rotten.
Which I then got powder coated.

Due to having the rear lower panel replaced I had to source a new build sticker from Germany. The body shop cut out the original sticker before the rest of the panel was scrapped.
old

new

A few more photos. Some of the jobs that needed doing before the 2018 MOT.
N/S/F inner wing

The old wiper stalk.

The old radiator

Some other jobs that needed doing which I forgot to list in the first post.
The old exhaust back box.

New gearbox end cap as the old one was rotten.

Old wiper motor was starting to seize up.

New back box fitted

Some more jobs that where done before the bodywork.
Gear change repair kit and relay arm fitted. Due to the gear change being awful like stirring porridge.
Timing belt & tensioner.
New gear stick gaiter
Engine breather seal.
Blue coolant expansion bottle cap
Bonnet stay clip.
Under the bonnet.

Some other jobs that where done while getting the bodywork sorted.
New Ariel.
New number plate lights.
New rear washer jet.
New boot seal.
New sunroof outer seal.
New o/s/r door outer handle.
Fitted missing n/s bonnet bump stop.
New tailgate struts & inner panel clips.
A couple more photos

National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Re: Nige t - 1989 Golf GTI 5-Door

Reply #1
Having owned the car for over a year, I decide to give the car an engine oil and filter change in July.
I have also managed to get another parcel shelf from EBay as mine was warped and splitting in the middle, another wiper arm cap (thanks MalC ) to replace the broken one drivers side and a blanking grommet from Germany, for the new drivers door (where the side impact bar fits on the newer models).
I also gave the wiper arms a refresh with some black paint and fitted new wiper blades.
Another photo

Reply #2
At the end of September last year the car failed its MOT.  :sad:
Absolutely gutted after all the money I'd spent getting the bodywork done, as it had failed on welding in two places N/S/R wheel arch. It also failed for O/S/F shock absorber leaking.
I got the welding done and ordered two shocks from VW Heritage. They only had one in stock and one on back order which was okay as I only needed one for the MOT.
A couple of weeks after getting a fresh MOT test the other shock absorber arrived and was duly fitted.
A few photos of the old and new N/S/F shocks.

New one fitted.

The old one had seen better days.

Reply #3
Another couple of jobs done (Jan 20).
New N/S/R door lock and handle. New lock fitted.

Old one had seen better days.

Also fitted some new dash speakers. Old ones looking pretty grim.

Reply #4
Panasonic (pull out) original radio cassette fitted to the car when I bought it.

Pioneer CD player currently fitted.

Reply #5
Looking good, I have this journey to embark :)

Where did you get your seat retrimmed? I have a tired drivers seat and a passenger seat that is torn on the back. Is it expensive getting this done vs buying say a new interior?

Cheers
Matt

Reply #6
Looking good, I have this journey to embark :)

Where did you get your seat retrimmed? I have a tired drivers seat and a passenger seat that is torn on the back. Is it expensive getting this done vs buying say a new interior?
Cheers Matt

I got my seat repaired by A&R Pound in Baldock, Herts.
Great work and good price.

Reply #7
Oh great - local to me then as I am Potters Bar but looking to move North Herts (house is for sale at the mo)