Skip to main content
Topic: Sam’s 84’ Mars Red GTI - Factory RHD German Wolfsburg Import (Read 4789 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sam’s 84’ Mars Red GTI - Factory RHD German Wolfsburg Import

Reply #45
Mystery solved:

Relay was in the wrong place:

How it was before:

How the CL fusebox looks like - so copied:

All working now!

Reply #48
Good to see you are back in the groove. I might be wrong but I think early cars had two washer bottles later models use one with a different pump which turns either way depending on the selection.
scs

Thanks! I’ll have to conduct some research!

Reply #49
Had some time to give the car a clean today - it was ready for an agreed deal to be sold - however buyer backed out.

Red stripe from the rear bumper removed.

Gave the car a quick polish and some attention on the bumpers - rain kept stopping play

It does look good now mind.

The car is now unfortunatley listed for sale:

https://www.facebook.com/670831031/posts/10158620784426032/?d=n

The CL is soon to follow.

Reply #50
That thing does present very well, sure you'll get a bite in no time.
Gutted you're getting rid of it, would have like to have seen it in the metal at some point.

Question is, what are you replacing it with?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #51
That thing does present very well, sure you'll get a bite in no time.
Gutted you're getting rid of it, would have like to have seen it in the metal at some point.

Question is, what are you replacing it with?

Yeah you know how long I’ve wanted a 3 door GTI - just seems unavoidable. If it doesn’t sell, I’ll happily restore it but it will just take some time as house will come first. The likelihood is probably nothing unfortunately but I’ll see if I can get something really cheap depending on how much money is left over etc.

Reply #52
Very sad update - with the house and wedding funds taking priority, the little GTI was bought a few weeks back by someone up in Yorkshire.

Last picture together:

Uncovered and loaded:

Got so many people staring and pointing on the trailer

Delievered - will miss this one but some sollace is that the new owner is looking to fully restore and will join his lovely collection of cars!

I will be listing a 84' specific list of findings on this thread for reference to the new owner which may help anyone else in the future.

Please feel free to add if you know anything extra:

Interior:

84 specific seat pattern

No tilt function on seats

84 - dimpled headliner (need to locate) with matching visors (present)

MFA with MPG gauge on speedo clocks - 1/2 function in top right hand corner.

Exterior:

Small Splitter

Non red stripe small bumpers

OEM Single exit exhaust (First 6 months of production 84') - Verified by Chris Teague

Single exit exhaust rear valance (First 6 months of production 84') - Verified by Chris Teague

P-slots with caps - not enscribed.

No black vinyl on the exterior sills

In this particular case - single headlight 7 slat grill with red stripe (GERMAN IMPORT ONLY) - UK Version with typical 7 slat with spotlamps and red stripe.

No rubstrips - black vinyl to replace - like Mk1 Golf.

3 piece boot window sticker

cast boot lock? - yet to verify however Tim Jay seems confident with this. (This one has had replacment boot lock so can't verify my end)

Reply #53
Engine wise, I belive pre 85 is also lacking a temp sensor that is fitted on later K-jets on the inlet manifold I think. I remember seeing it referenced in the Haynes Manual. But since I've had 86 and 87 early 8v's I've never looked into this further. Sad it had to go, but I understand it could have easily cost a lot to do it justice and make it the car it needs to be.

Reply #54
Engine wise, I belive pre 85 is also lacking a temp sensor that is fitted on later K-jets on the inlet manifold I think. I remember seeing it referenced in the Haynes Manual. But since I've had 86 and 87 early 8v's I've never looked into this further. Sad it had to go, but I understand it could have easily cost a lot to do it justice and make it the car it needs to be.

Thanks Tim - didn’t know that! Yeah for sure, although selling both ensures the house and wedding fund are complete at least! Shame it was so short lived, being honest even moving the blue one around without power steering is a bit difficult chest wise, hence the new car being DSG and easy! Perhaps I’ll be back one day! I’m first reserve on the A reg 😉

Reply #55
As promised - new owner got in touch with me regarding first reserve on the GTI!

Unfortunately, with my first property coming this year and wedding the year thereafter it’s not the right situation for me.

So, opening it up to the club for anyone else interested and I’ll pass on the details!

Reply #57
So it was bought to be restored now it’s back on the market?

Yes that’s correct - it comes across as a matter of “have to” rather than “want to” - essentially it’s exactly how I sold it to him.