Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Colours (Read 719 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Colours

Hi All
I am helping a friend with his Mk2 GTI 8v and he would like to put the engine back to completely standard colours as per factory.
Does anyone know if there is somewhere to find out if the Black on the block/rocker cover etc is matt/gloss or Satin as the items we have are almost all rusty or virtually bare metal.

Thanks in advance

Re: Engine Colours

Reply #2
I bought a NOS rocker cover from VW classic parts in Germany. It came in satin black and looked very much like the black protective paint new panes come in, so just a coating really which is probably why they’re all rusty now. I prep’ed and painted gloss black. I knew it wasn’t OEM but was a nicer finish.

However on one of mine, there appeared to be silver paint flecks left in parts that hadn’t fully rusted so may have been silver from factory???

Reply #3
It's Satin Black on my old one that had not rusted at all.

Reply #4
When I had the head refurbed I resprayed mine in Hammerite gloss back which is not that shiny anyway. And over time it has dulled somewhat and so (to me) looks perfect!

Reply #5
Both of my 1.6 cars had an oil blacked finish on them that looked more like someone had sprayed them with a light mist of Bisto. I have owned the red one from almost new?  The others had more washes than miles on it so is factory.   My 8v digi had a black one and service history to show it was oem. Cant remember seeing an 8v in anything other than mattish black unless it was obviously painted.
 So i guess it may come down to where the engine was assembled and for what its set up for
If its not got a VAG badge, I aint interested.