Skip to main content
Topic: Mk2 golf small bumper arches (Read 870 times) previous topic - next topic

Mk2 golf small bumper arches

I have got small bumper arches (191853817 arches). And I have a 1987 mk2 golf. Then I placed them on the car to test for size, between the rear arch and door trim there was a gap but the 191853818 arches have a piece on the rear arch to bridge that gap. Should I get them arches instead?

Re: Mk2 golf small bumper arches

Reply #1
Think I understand, sounds like you have a lower spec rear arch and are hence missing the small section  between the arch and trim , I would have thought only a few would notice it missing, after all there is already a section of arch showing between the arch and rear bumper?

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply buddy. That is true. I saw one picture of a mk2 where they did this...

If you have a look at the rear arch it looks like it has been cut and then the remaining part that connects to the door trim is just the original trim which I already have on the car. Is that cut? And would you recommended cutting the rear plastic arches to give that look or is that unheard of?

Reply #3
I think that picture is a mix up of various parts. The GL model doesn't have full arch trims, just small spats at the front of the arch ...

Looks like someone has taken a small bumper arch and joined it.

It's likely you just have an arch from a pre-87 car. Where the side strips are not joined.

this is my old one (86) before I put the side trims back on. They are solid rubber and stuck on side trims on earl cars. 87 onwards has holes in the body and wider plastic side trims.

Reply #5
The bit cut in on the red car looks a bit odd , some one will have some rear arches for sale

it does, for big bumper GL there were some arch extensions that would complete the arch. They were genuine VW accessories, very uncommon and did look odd. trying to find an old pic as someone had one at one of the National Meets when they were back in the other place.

Reply #6
I think that picture is a mix up of various parts. The GL model doesn't have full arch trims, just small spats at the front of the arch ...

Looks like someone has taken a small bumper arch and joined it.

It's likely you just have an arch from a pre-87 car. Where the side strips are not joined.

this is my old one (86) before I put the side trims back on. They are solid rubber and stuck on side trims on earl cars. 87 onwards has holes in the body and wider plastic side trims.

Yes that is exactly what the arches I have to put on look like. So do you think the gap between the rear arch and door trim is just normal and not worth getting newer rear arches? or should I sell these and get the ones which have a piece on the arch that bridges that gap?

Reply #7
Think I understand, sounds like you have a lower spec rear arch and are hence missing the small section  between the arch and trim , I would have thought only a few would notice it missing, after all there is already a section of arch showing between the arch and rear bumper?

Yes thats true.

These are the arches I would prefer to be fair just to fill that gap has anyone got any or know anyone who has these arches lying around?