Skip to main content
Topic: Test your knowledge! (Read 21294 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Test your knowledge!

Reply #390
What is the material?  Steel or aluminium?

Reply #391
Looks to be steel, definitely not aluminium...

Reply #392
Not seen one of those on my car then.  Thought it may be a heat shield spacer.

Reply #393
I can’t resist these challenges, I’ve not seen one but it looks like a gripper washer for something adjustable?  Struggling with the size of it, it looks small relative to the bolt thread but large relative to the bolt hex. What size thread fits through the slot?

Reply #394
Hmm, can it be some kind of insert for plastic trim, like the splitter, or something?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #395
I think even the most knowledgable MK2 owner would struggle with this one, so I'll not drag it out any longer...

The washer beneath the 'Philips' screw, the little clasps hold it in place when the light's being fitted or removed as it's upside-down.

Reply #396
What is that? A fog lamp? Never seen one.

Edit, a drive lamp, fog lamps are usualy clear.

Reply #398
Interesting, there are a number of parts in this thread that are big bumper parts that are not on earlier cars, or relate to options that became standard.
Big bumper cars feel like MK3 cars in a MK2 shell but I suppose that is the way a long running model evolves. Did MK2 run for 9 years?

Reply #399
Production 84 to 91 but with some cars registered after 91 as they sat unsold in dealerships.

Note VW manufacturing year is not a calendar year so when I say 91 I mean mid 91 to mid 92. Around July August time I think.

There are some parts specific to earlier cars which I’m sure would stump some guys on here.

It’s not unusual for a car to have that lifespan, even now - even longer. But due to CAD and robotic manufacturing the cars get a more significant facelift more regularly. A mk6 is basically a Mk5.

Reply #400
Where does this self locking screw go?  Takes a 10mm spanner (I think).

The pitch of the screw is offset slightly over the gap in the middle. When it is screwed in the gap in the middle is under tension locking the screw in the female thread.

This explains better than I can https://www.freepatentsonline.com/4071067.html?fbclid=IwAR34iFtfZJjqVKSKq0DfoDABQpfTb0owyOPw3VeRefsq89oyQtO9BpDIZZk

Reply #401
You are all surprisingly quiet. I’m sure many of you will have adjusted this screw and thought, that’s tight. I did the first time I did it, there is damage visible on the hex.
It locks to maintain an adjustment and the groove under the hex takes an O ring to prevent fluid leakage.

Reply #403
I must admit I've checked 7Zap and it is not listed as a separate part.  It is sold as part of a major assembly.  Are there any more clues I can give to STEER towards an identification?

Reply #404
Initially I though throttle adjustment or fuel related due to the o-ring seal, but the fact it locks in place it's clearly not something to be "tweaked" easily so that put me off throttle. So when you mentioned fluid I did think something PAS related, as the PAS system is high pressue and unlikely to need adjusting once set. But exactly where I have no idea, on the rack itself maybe?

If not PAS then Gearbox of Brake system but I really don't think it's either of those.