Skip to main content
Topic: G135EPB 8v GTI (Read 10754 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: G135EPB 8v GTI

Reply #120
Finished this off today. Made one or two mistakes but I got there in the end. Accidentally fitted the fuel guage upside down to start with. I ordered a new speedo cable and cluster bulbs as I don't really wanna be doing any of this again

Decided to chav it up and paint the needles red. I couldn't get them off so went for tornado red touch up pen 🤣

Green led cluster bulbs

You have to trim the the tabs off to get them in

The clock worked so that was a good start

Nothing tells me a job well done like left over parts 🤦‍♂️

All guages and lights work. Had to have a 2nd go at the speedo cable but seems like a success

Reply #121
Nice little touch, bet it brings out the red of the dash stripe.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #122
Nice little touch, bet it brings out the red of the dash stripe.
Yeah I'm surprised how well they came out but even more so that everything works 🤣

Must be due an update on red rescue?

Reply #123
Unfortunately, it's probably overdue, but nothing has happened the past two weeks.
I've been at a wedding for one and tidying the workshop for the other!
This weekend should give me a bit of time though...fingers crossed!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #124
After my old uj boot fell to peices and with a pending stainless manifold to go on, I decided it would be good to try and protect the new one from the heat. Also I haven't yet refitted the manifold heat shield, so I ordered and fitted this.

The manifold should be going on in a few weeks but if it doesn't happen i really should have my alignment corrected so I can use it regularly.
My new "genuine" sunroof seal from heritage (£120) has a split in it which is fustrating after 2 months. I've sent them an email to see if there's anything they can do.

A few photos from dubclub

Reply #125
I've been desperate to get this Miltek manifold fitted.  Today we took a step closer by getting the flange chopped off and welding a flexi, vband and lambda boss. Massive thanks to Henry who accepts Burger King and a blast in mk2 as payment 😁

Reply #126
After ages talking about it, today I managed to fit my miltek manifold!
We found the easiest way was to lower the subframe. I bought some new gaskets, studs and copper nuts althought we decided not to try and remove studs as they all stayed in place.

Manifold squeezed out the gearbox end.

Downpipe came out from below and I marked the exhaust where it was to be cut down.

Cut exhaust and tacked the vband on, took abit of trial and error

Welded on

Needs a bit of tweaking as the backbox is sitting close to the heatshield above it. At least I hope thats all it is 😳
Warmed it up and did a quick video. Not as loud as I expected which was a nice suprise
https://youtu.be/m8-DNw8LZWo

Reply #127
Alignment is booked for 18th July and exhaust tweeks 19th so hopefully they all go to plan. I've bought some camber bolts and exhaust rubbers from Powerflex

I've had an electric aerial sat in my garage for ages, although I really want a Bee sting, I'm not up for wrecking my headlining or drilling fresh paint. So i decided to give it a go

How many tools do you need to fit an electric aerial 🤣

Whipped old aerial out into the scuttle, hasn't been up to much for years if I'm honest, always had poor signal

Pulled head unit out

Tried tying onto old aerial cable which didn't  work at all!

Ended up pulling cables through an unused grommet lower down the bulkhead plus the red permanent live. Blue is the switch wire. I connected the earth in the scuttle

I decided to leave the old aerial under scuttle for now as a contingency incase this new one doesn't last more than 5 minutes!

I notice these 2 yellow wire broken? No idea what they're for but they head towards the horn and outside air temperature sensor. Maybe this is why it reads mine 22 degrees 🤔

Drilled a 20mm hole into an electric window blank

The aerial has 4 wires: the coax looking cable, a red permanent live, black earth and blue switch wire. I thought if i have a radio switch live to this rocker switch that feeds the electric aerial I can independently control it?

It works 😁 probably should have taken an hour or two but took far longer than I hoped 😅
https://youtube.com/shorts/eGpZ7kGiy-w?feature=share

Reply #128
Took a trip up the road to Caffeine and machine for the mk2 meet the other week. It was nice to see so many familiar cars and see some new and old friends

I've had alignment done at Spires this afternoon. This has needed correcting since I fitted power steering the other month 😳 tbf I've been on their waiting list since the pas conversion was done. Spires seem to have an excellent reputation for geometry and although there isn't much to setup on a mk2 I thought I'd give them ago.
They fitted the camber bolts and added a little camber on the front over standard specification to try and help for track and fast road use. It drives so much nicer now so that was money well spent.

I sold the g60 steels recently so ordered some new tyres for my bbs ra's. I was looking at Michelin ps3 but just couldn't justify £350 with the limited mileage I cover. I had been surprised how good the toyo tr1 were on my steels and for less than £40 each I couldn't complain

I forgot how tedious these are to clean 😩

I'm booked in at an exhaust fabricator tomorrow to redo my joint between my new manifold and the exhaust. Then I just need to wash it and I'm ready for national meet!

Reply #129
I've missed the last couple of updates, looking great!
Tyres look good as well, may have to invest in a set too, have you tried them yet?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #130
I've missed the last couple of updates, looking great!
Tyres look good as well, may have to invest in a set too, have you tried them yet?

Thank you!

I've had the tr1's on my g60 steels and thought they were fantastic for the money, they look a bit like rainsports. I was looking at premium tyres but then I thought, actually the toyos had been absolutely fine so why waste the money.

Reply #131
Just read the reviews on Black Circles and they seem to be popular.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #132
Talking of Black Circles I've used them a few times. Interesting that you can get them fitted at your local tyre fitter but sometimes cheaper. Being able to read the reviews is good too.
I've got Goodyear Efficientgrip on my Golf but they are cracking round the tread. Apparently it is a common problem. Don't remember having an issue with other tyres before.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #133
These were from black circles too. I have Goodyear Eagle f1s on my family car and they are beginning to crack at maybe 4 years old at the most. I'm disappointed as they have loads of tread remaining and were over £100 per corner. I've read about Avons cracking prematurely too. This made cheaper Toyos an easier decision.

Im swaying my mentality away from your get what you pay for! I've heard good things about accelera as another affordable option...

Reply #134
I used to run Pilot Sport 4s on my daily, they never cracked.
They only used to last 6 months!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster