Skip to main content
Topic: Lock Down Rebuild 1984 1.3 CL (daughters first car) (Read 3186 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lock Down Rebuild 1984 1.3 CL (daughters first car)

Reply #16
So when looking around the car found a hole in the windscreen scuttle that had a poor repair, which was just a load of filler some had smoothed over. So though I would cut it out and weld it up.

IMG_1879 by Karl Bartlett, on Flickr

IMG_2228 by Karl Bartlett, on Flickr

And finally ready to be collected. Which was at 10 am this morning,  I will keep people updated as I do more bits and bobs.

IMG_9797 by Karl Bartlett, on Flickr

IMG_2879 by Karl Bartlett, on Flickr

Reply #17
The amount of progress you have made in such a short time is astounding!!  Your daughter is going to have a great car when you have finished :D
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #18
Wow! The amount of effort you've put into this is staggering! 8)

You'd better prey she doesn't discover boys and decide cars aren't cool any more!! :-X
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #19
Seeing all of this has made me think I should give the underside of mine a go myself. What welder did you use? I've signed up to the mig welding forum and it's always something I wanted to learn.

Reply #20
Seeing all of this has made me think I should give the underside of mine a go myself. What welder did you use? I've signed up to the mig welding forum and it's always something I wanted to learn.

Hi, thanks for the comment as for welder, I used a Budget Welder (Wolf Mig 140) it's not bad and did the job, but if I were going to do it again I would get a better one something mid-range with a euro torch fitment rather than fixed.

I used 0.6 wire and Argon 5 gas (93% Argon, 5% Carbon Dioxide, 2% Oxygen).

Reply #21
Just read your whole thread, it looks amazing and I can't wait to see updates! Such a good thing to do with your daughter too, my dad and me collected my first mk2 together and he taught me to drive in it, it's great memories (:

Reply #23
awesome work!!

Reply #25
wow that work is mega on the driveway, that will be one cool first car when its finished, is it going to stay red?

Reply #26
wow that work is mega on the driveway, that will be one cool first car when its finished, is it going to stay red?

Hey thanks for all the kind words it’s not going to stay red, my daughter has chosen nardo grey, and a set of 13x 6.5 minilites that she wants in a candy copper colour.

Reply #27
Oooooh that sounds nice, can't wait to see it!

Reply #28
Awesome! Really well done - got into it really quickly!

Reply #29
Looks awesome ! I'm currently doing up my 1.3 and I'm looking at getting some new coilovers, what do you think to the stance coilovers?