Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 8v GTI restoration - You may recognise this one! (Read 6945 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 8v GTI restoration - You may recognise this one!

Probably about time I put a thread up here to note down what I've done so far, the list is pretty long so here's hoping I capture it all.

What has been done so far?

A full engine rebuild has been carried out with various modifications added, including a Newman 268 cam, Kent vernier pulley, polished crank, high compression Wossner forged pistons and mild porting and polishing.

Trackslag OEM slanty system and milltek manifold also added; manifold was heat wrapped before going on.

The car now makes a proven 140bhp on the rolling road and you can certainly tell when hammering it.

Dyno vid:
https://youtu.be/j0bB54a9YnQ

New alternator, going from 55amp to 65. Earthing wire also uprated in places.

Various odds and ends also changed, such as wheel bearings, CV boots etc. Changed to pink coolant instead of the blue stuff.

Engine bay was stripped back completely, treated, painted and waxoyled. More pictures on request.

Redone bits of wiring in the engine bay to lights, various sensors and auxiliary air valve as they were showing signs of corrosion or splitting.

Fitting a Epytec shortshifter bar which feels great alongside the mk3 weighted shifter.

Removed pointless bonnet hinge hook found on early cars and fit a SWG full length scuttle. Alongside this, I also changed the heater intake grille gasket.

New brake discs and pads. One caliper replaced due to seizing.

Fitted KW V1 coilovers as well as new G60 top mounts and had the cars geometry aligned. Fitted plastic strut caps to finish off.

Bought and fitted Ronal Turbo 15 inch wheels and new black tapered wheel bolts to match.

Fitted new MoMo ProtoTipo steering wheel with new MoMo small splined boss adapter.

Fitted custom made wooden golf ball gearknob, more wooden bits to follow.

Fitted good condition FIFFT smoked tail-lights.

Fitted 3D lettered number plates.

What have I got to fit?

BBS RS 070 and RS 071 wheels to fit. 8J on the front 8.5 on the back. I've polished these with a drill attachment and ceramic coated for protection.. It only took a whole day.

Actual 3D printed Hella spotlight covers to replace terrible stickers.

Various custom wooden bits; pictured above. Just need to fit winders and mirror knobs.

Custom trimmed "OEM+" tweed Recaro LS-C, trimmed rear seat and doorcards. Fitted with custom seat bases made by Chris Earl, painted by myself on my garden table..

Brand new Meyle coolant hoses to be fit. I suspect the ones on the car are original and definitely shouldn't be trusted (ask me how I know).

New door membranes to fit.

Newton commercials sound deadening and felt kit as well as plenty of silentcoat sound deadening. The aim is to remove my carpets at some point to clean them and do this alongside.

New uprated green LEDs for all switch gear inside.

What's else is there left to do?

A lot...

But to name a few:

I've got new panels for the scuttle, rear valance and fuel filler area that will hopefully be sorted in a few months.

Replace drivers side arches as the ones on the car are damaged, I suspect by a heat gun.

Replace roof gutter/rubbers.

May end up going for a respray but I'd like to have a good go with a machine polisher first.

Re: 1986 8v GTI restoration - You may recognise this one!

Reply #1
Lots of work done, looking forward to seeing pictures. Some of the exhaust would be good too as I like the sound of the trackslag but haven't seen it on a small bumper car with slanty pipes.

Reply #2
Lots of work done, looking forward to seeing pictures. Some of the exhaust would be good too as I like the sound of the trackslag but haven't seen it on a small bumper car with slanty pipes.

Plenty of money spent on it for sure!

Posted a few pictures up to get started, will put a few up at a later date of the exhaust. I'll post a couple of videos to give you an idea of noise too.

Reply #3

Plenty of money spent on it for sure!

Posted a few pictures up to get started, will put a few up at a later date of the exhaust. I'll post a couple of videos to give you an idea of noise too.

Whoa beautiful so far! More more haha.

Reply #5
Wow! Good effort and great power from the 8v!
Though you may want to think about upgrading the front engine mount to put up with it all.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Love a Dyno vid and sounds awesome. I have a vibra techniques mount in my Corrado (also have a dyno video on this forum in my readers ride thread!)  - I don't notice it to be honest but it must do a good job at keeping the engine stable from twisting.

Reply #7
Wow! Good effort and great power from the 8v!
Though you may want to think about upgrading the front engine mount to put up with it all.

It's not quite on the same level as your 32 but it still goes like stink!

I know what you mean with the engine mount, it does rock about a bit. What would you recommend and would it be worth it for a road car?

Reply #8
Power isn't everything, I still bet your 8v is every bit as fun to drive as mine - and probably far less likely to kill you!!!

I'd recommend going for a solid front engine mount and refreshing the rear ones.
You can get G60 rear mounts that will bolt up to your subframe and will wear a lot better than the standard 8v one.

Some people don't like a solid mount, but I've always used them with standard crossmember bushes and never had a problem.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #9
Still think you should have gone for a 2l bottom end to reach 150  ;)

Looking forward to seeing this again, so glad you've stuck with it are kind of completing the plans I originally had. I think you're looking at similar spec now for my old GTI Engineering on a 1.8 8v. and that had excellent characteristics and was much faster than many bigger engine cars of the era. I remember a particular event around the centre of Bristol with a 2.0 16v Astra GTE  :))  I never managed to outrun that motorway cop in a VR6 Mk3 though.

Reply #10

I'd recommend going for a solid front engine mount and refreshing the rear ones.
You can get G60 rear mounts that will bolt up to your subframe and will wear a lot better than the standard 8v one.

Some people don't like a solid mount, but I've always used them with standard crossmember bushes and never had a problem.

I'll look into this mate, any recommendation on solid front mount? I've seen that Bahn Brenner (BBM) do a good looking one.

Still think you should have gone for a 2l bottom end to reach 150  ;)

Looking forward to seeing this again, so glad you've stuck with it are kind of completing the plans I originally had. I think you're looking at similar spec now for my old GTI Engineering on a 1.8 8v. and that had excellent characteristics and was much faster than many bigger engine cars of the era. I remember a particular event around the centre of Bristol with a 2.0 16v Astra GTE  :))  I never managed to outrun that motorway cop in a VR6 Mk3 though.

No more engine mods for now!

I'm pretty sure it's similar if not more than one of their packages; it's pretty much what I was aiming for. I'll have to let you have a go for old times sake when we're allowed out properly again.

Reply #11
Some of the exhaust would be good too as I like the sound of the trackslag but haven't seen it on a small bumper car with slanty pipes.

Not the best pictures mate, but here you are.

I know the rear valance needs doing, I've got the panels and it'll all be done with a few other bits later this year  :D

Reply #12
Put a coat of wax on it today to give it a bit of added protection. Scrubs up pretty well I think:

Reply #13
Tidy mate, the exhaust looks good. Is the back box quite visible when viewed directly on? I quite like the OEM style with it's small box.

My rear valance also needs sorting and is a lot worse than yours!

Reply #14
Tidy mate, the exhaust looks good. Is the back box quite visible when viewed directly on? I quite like the OEM style with it's small box.

It's not an overly offensive size mate but I suppose it's down to preference. I've had comments saying they're a lot bigger than first thought but personally I think it's a fine looking system; they do look daft on a small bumper if you go for the straight system over the slanted though imo.