Skip to main content
Topic: Building a MK2 16V Rival...  (Read 5053 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Building a MK2 16V Rival...

Reply #15
'proper' updates...

V8?

I wish! This is supposed to be my 'cheap' car to save for a house and wedding.

There may be a few little surprises in store mind as I won't skimp on it.

I guess we will see the direction it goes but at the moment a V8 isn't in the plans!

;)

Just bear in mind my wedding cost £250 .... me, carole and few witnesses then off to the pub!
I'm sure Jazz will be just as understanding.

Reply #16
'proper' updates...

V8?

I wish! This is supposed to be my 'cheap' car to save for a house and wedding.

There may be a few little surprises in store mind as I won't skimp on it.

I guess we will see the direction it goes but at the moment a V8 isn't in the plans!

;)

Just bear in mind my wedding cost £250 .... me, carole and few witnesses then off to the pub!
I'm sure Jazz will be just as understanding.

Yeah I’m sure lol - going to keep it relatively small to be honest and put the majority of the money towards the property! Just finishing my masters too so once my heart op is completed I can get back up the city and start making some “proper” money again! Hopefully, anyway.

Reply #17
Will be interesting to see if you can get the indicators working. Haven’t seen a Beemer yet where they do... it’s an awesome car and you know I am thinking oem the shizzle out of it and it will be better than any money in a building society ..

Reply #18
Will be interesting to see if you can get the indicators working. Haven’t seen a Beemer yet where they do... it’s an awesome car and you know I am thinking oem the shizzle out of it and it will be better than any money in a building society ..

These ones are broken too  :)) - in all seriousness, I’m actually on that wavelength for once!

Reply #19
Nothing major to update:

Replaced a few bits in preparation for its MOT:

• BMW matching dealer plates are now on!

• New fuel filler neck boot

• New rubber gaskets and clips for rear trims

Car passed and is solid as rock underneath - going to look at the exhaust system at some point, most probably a stainless system throughout which looks OEM. Then replace/restore anything else underneath.

Reply #20

These ones are broken too  :)) - in all seriousness, I’m actually on that wavelength for once!

So a rear wiper even if not working will tidy that back up, remember how a lay flat wiper on a mk2 seemed a good idea but looked wrong? ... well to some anyhow

Reply #22

So a rear wiper even if not working will tidy that back up, remember how a lay flat wiper on a mk2 seemed a good idea but looked wrong? ... well to some anyhow

Oh for sure! I’ve got the rear arm to put on, just need to rebuild the motor as it doesn’t park correctly. Going to rebuild the front ones too for preventative maintenance.

I put a longlife S/S exhaust on mine, you're lucky enough yours is older so you can do away with the CAT. Mine was 93 so I had to have one,  that added a good £300 to the cost of the system.

How did you find it? Like OEM? Oh, yeah will be deleting the cat - squeeze as much power out as possible!

Reply #24
I'd recommend the Longlife system, sounded and looked good, OEM+ :-)  I remember on my old one years back I had to replace the exhaust and I just put a generic system on. I hated the sound afterwards it was really tinny.

I’ll have a look! Thanks!

Reply #25
Nothing really to update, been busy applying for graduate schemes, working and sorting the Audi out. I did feel a bit sorry for it sitting there getting all leafy so gave it a quick wash.

Before:

Really could benefit from a machine polish!

During:

After:

Reply #26
I never noticed the cooling ducts next to the fig light before.

Have you seen the recent Mighty Car Mods videos?
They've just done an E30 too!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #27

Cool isn't it. They all have cooling ducts, on lower spec ones they have blanks where the fog lights go.

^ that's the one I had in the late 90s.

Reply #28

Yeah they’re quite cool to be fair! I haven’t had a look yet, I’ll do some YouTubing later, thanks for the heads up!

Reply #29
Little update:

Had a bit of time to have a look at the E30 and sort out some niggly issues.

Firstly, looking at the rear wiper motor - removed because the sweep has its own mind. I've never taken a wiper motor apart before so had to figure it out as I went along.

Investigated by taking apart the motor:

Rubber block slightly split - although the grease looks really fresh - perhaps someone has been here before!

From what I can work out, this rocker is the derivative of the wiper park position - I had to take it on and off a few times to discover this. However, I can't get this rocker to park back at the same position and therefore will land anywhere on this scale once parked. I still need to work out where to go from here because it's quite annoying. As you can see from the picture below, sweep has gone onto the bootlid and scratched the paintwork before so want to avoid this when the car is repainted.

Speaking of repainting, whilst I had the car under the barn under the light I discovered this:

I know the the first forum thread listed in the first comment, Mick painted the car which was a bit of a while back so was quite surprised that this came up. Therefore, it looks like the front end is going to bare metal painted at the very least. I need to work out what else is going to be painted as I ideally don't want to spend 6k on painting this.

Back outside - can barley see the blistering unless you're looing for it!

Next job:

The interior light wasn't working when the drivers door was opened. Commonly, this is a door switch which is normally broken.

So had a little look - trim off and speakers out:

The reason - nothing was plugged into the back of a switch:

Using the internet and the help of Ben's experience in reading diagrams - it was worked out that there were two possibilities:

Plugged it back in - actually had to do this twice as left one unplugged to find out that this car has a timer delay optioned.

Great success!

Drivers mat temporary glued whilst I find a OEM replacement:

Also changed the window stop switch.

Before:

After:

Much better.

Hopefully, some better updates in due course.

Needs a clean now...