Skip to main content
Topic: Building a MK2 16V Rival...  (Read 5102 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Building a MK2 16V Rival...

Reply #30
Small parts delivery today!

I managed to source a new tailgate switch and more importantly a genuine IS splitter. Apparently, according to the dealer this is the last one in the UK - not sure on the truth of this but gave me a justication to order it anyway.

Winston, the cat trying to help.

Fitted the switch - all interior lights working now as they should. Little things like that really annoy me when you actually use the car.

The splitter will await paint and will be fitted with new clips when the car goes for paint!

Reply #31
Cats do love boxes!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #33
Another small update -

One of the guys on the E30 club enquired about buying my 14" wheels, therefore, I've moved up the timeline of getting the 15" wheels sorted.

The factory tyre size is 205/55/15, however, due to the limited choice, I started looking at 195/50/15. After finding limited pictures, I then decided it wasn't the look I was going for then after much deliberation decided on 205/55. However, again the choice of brands were limited. I wanted to go for Michelin PS3's but nothing in this size. After annoying literally everyone in my group chats about nelgible pros and cons between AD08RS and Sportrac5's - I decided to go more risk averse.

Hopefully they'll look and perform well.

In the meantime, I've taken the 15's to be refurbed in my local at Rolling Rims - so awaiting getting them back and awaiting them to collect the new tyres.

My mate said he had a few ECU performance chips spare, so thought I'd have a look to see if mine was stock or not.

Started having a look:

Found this bodge...

ECU out:

Bit dirty - needs a clean:

As I was taking it apart, the tabs on it were so soft, luckily the screws hold it tight but annoying nevertheless.

Turns out it already has one, result!

Anyway, it's back together now but need to sort the cable tie issue out.

That's all for now.

Reply #34
Managed to pick up the wheels today, they came out really nice:

One of the wheels needed quite a bit of weights to be balanced correctly - this might be demoted to a spare if it proves troublesome.

My friend owns Carbon Collective so sealed them up with Platnium Wheels Cermaic Coating - awesome bit of kit!

Also got my new BMW centre caps through the post - can't wait to get everything back on although this might not be a while due to open heart surgery pending in the next fortnight or so. Hopefully after I've recovered then the updates will keep on coming!

Reply #35
Good luck with the surgery Sam!

Wheels look stunning too 8)
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #37
Standard cross-spokes just look right on an E30.

Mate had a 318iS when they were new, same colour and wheels too... always had a soft spot for them since.

Genuinely amazing what is done nowadays... from someone who's a few stents, you'll be in the very best of hands, no luck needed!

Reply #38
Standard cross-spokes just look right on an E30.

Mate had a 318iS when they were new, same colour and wheels too... always had a soft spot for them since.

Genuinely amazing what is done nowadays... from someone who's a few stents, you'll be in the very best of hands, no luck needed!

I agree, style 5’s look perfect! The caps are very expensive though so it was crucial I bought them combined!

Would love a genuine 318is but for the step up in cash to find one in the same condition and mileage isn’t worth it - I do like having something different though being a touring!

Thanks for the kind words, technology is a marvel, luckily I’ve had open heart surgery about 15 years ago and some stent work in between! More so, just annoying for the loss of time and money as I’ve just finished my MSc but I suppose due to the pandemic everyone’s in a similar situation regardless!

Reply #39
No massive updates as I've been in and out of hospital regarding heart surgery and not really "allowed" to do much.

I had noticed that the passenger headlight was loose so thought it was missing a bolt - turns out it had just come lose from a mounting point so got it back on with a simple push. However, whilst the grill was all off it was worth a clean down.

Much better!

Also, Jasmine changed the wheels on the car for me today whilst I was "supervising". It is annoying that I'm not able to get stuck in myself at the moment but I think this small change has such a big impact!

That's it for now!

I think I might have to consider selling this one really - with the recent surgery news and my first operation already being canceled, it is more than likely that with 12 week recovery time that I won't get to drive this in the summer. In addition to taking it off the road for winter means another year it's not being used properly. I was looking to buy my first house at the end of the year/ start of next year so really doesn't make any sense for this to be sat when someone can enjoy it. That's my thought process on it at the moment, shame really.

Let's see what happens.

Reply #40
Prices seem to have gone mad on these too, so if you do have to sell hopefully you'll make a little profit even in the short time you've had it. Especially with the improvements you've made and your attention to detail.

Hope you work out a way to hang on to it though. I'm sure you'd miss it when it's gone. 

Speedy recovery mate.

Reply #41
Prices seem to have gone mad on these too, so if you do have to sell hopefully you'll make a little profit even in the short time you've had it. Especially with the improvements you've made and your attention to detail.

Hope you work out a way to hang on to it though. I'm sure you'd miss it when it's gone. 

Speedy recovery mate.

Exactly that. You've got a nice one and any you buy after will be unknown.
If you can hang on to it, it'll stop yo kicking yourself down the line.

And I hope you get back to normal soon!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #42
Little update with the E30 -

I was getting a bit bored and thought I'd start to do some jobs which annoyed me so started with the adhesive glue left from the padding under the bonnet.

It started off looking like this - attempted it for one day using WD40 and some weird plastic scraper but wasn't getting anywhere quickly.

Amazon Prime came to the rescue so bought a new plastic scraper and blades with some sticky solution remover which really helped!

I did a little for the next day over a couple hours and then finished it off the day after. I think it came out relatively well!

There was some stange waxoyl smeared across each of the subsections - I accidently chipped into it on the passenger side so you can see it a bit more clearly in the pics. I left it in the middle and drivers side.

Thought I might as well give the bay a general clean at this point:

Proceeded to giving the inside a hoover and wipe although the carpets really ruin the perfectness. They need redying ideally.

At this point, I was enjoying working on the car and taking my time.

Decided to give the car a good wash with Carbon Collective Lusso and started compounding by hand with Megiuars Ultimate:

Came out much better!

Started then giving it a hand polish - tried Autofinnese Tripple Polish but wasn't happy with it. Tried something more aggressive and landed with Autoglym Super Resin.

It was then waxed with Megiuars Professional Hi-Tech Yellow Caranuba Wax and topped with Auto Finnesse Spray Wax:

I decided whilst the car was clean and looking great that I would put the car up for sale:

Cat trying to help!

Sale ad was written and listed on Friday 26th March at £7000. After a lot of initial interest and many messages going back and forth -  a young lad from Staffordshire said he would put a deposit down immediatley and take it at full asking price. He said he would look after it so as promised he sent a deposit and left straight away and took it away on a trailer.

Bittersweet sale for me but it's going to a good home which gives me sollace and its money for my house.

An abrupt end to this chapter but hope this was of some interest at least.

Thanks,

Sam

Reply #43
Sam, the car looks great even if it had the wrong badges on it (not VW and Golf).  :D .The new owner has got a car to be proud of.
I've never had a BMW but the quality of german cars of that era was way ahead of the British rot boxes.
I find myself browsing Merc 190 2.6s and CEs for sale of that era. The prices of are still depressed but on the rise too.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #44
Sam, the car looks great even if it had the wrong badges on it (not VW and Golf).  :D .The new owner has got a car to be proud of.
I've never had a BMW but the quality of german cars of that era was way ahead of the British rot boxes.
I find myself browsing Merc 190 2.6s and CEs for sale of that era. The prices of are still depressed but on the rise too.

Thanks! Appreciate the kind words - I believe a 2.6 190E would be a good buy. I remember reading that 2.5 cosworth really has to try to leave one comfortably at least.