Skip to main content
Topic: Isaac - 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v... (Read 16890 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v...

Reply #30

You might remember eddypeck found a guy in Germany doing replacement boot stickers and that I got some sent over -

http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47591

Can I still get hold of one of these?

There’s a guy in the UK on Facebook making these. Search on there :)

Reply #31
Thank you.
16V GTI under restoration
Learning a lot  as I go along

Reply #32
Just read from the start to catch up, some attention to detail you have  8)

Interior / dash looks cracking

Reply #33
Cheers... the urge to do something with her is definitely growing, though when you see some of the work being done on other threads it's all been a little piddley by comparison so far.

I'd love to have that sort of nowse to tackle the mechanical side of things, probably why I fixate on the things I can do.

Still sort of new fangled with the 205 too, which is distracting me big time.

Must've done nearly 600 miles in her this month alone, just going nowhere in particular.

It's been a good few years since I actually went out for a drive,  just for the pleasure of it - going to have to speak to the insurance people about upping the mileage allowance.

Reply #34
OK... the threads gotten all very disjointed and a bit odd to read in places - when it was transfered over from the old forum I couldn't include the replies and comments others made, plus some of the image links were broken and chunks have been left out as a result.

I've found what I think are most of the images from the front fog light fix - the one using the metal bodies from MK3 fogs to replace the often singed / melted plastic bodies found on quite a few MK2 ones.

There was originally quite a bit of a written explaination (which if I'm honest, I just don't have the will to try and repeat at the moment) so I can't guarantee anything is in the correct order below, or that I'm properly remembering what's going on in the images... so don't take what you see as entirely correct or complete and check before you commit to dismantling anything valuable!

Feel free to jump in if you see any glaring mistakes!

1. MK3 Hella metal bodied front fog light - less its bumper mounting bracket and clip on/off glass lens / bonded on plastic holder, none of which are pictured or you'll need.

2. Remove the black plastic housing by picking out the original (white) sealant. In the images below you can see the tangs (highlighted in the second image) are poking out straight. They are in reality bent over and encased in the sealant... the images were taken after straightening them to allow removal of the grey metal housing. You'll have to remember to bend them back over when refitting later on.

They're also orientated with one tang being larger than the other to ensure they only fit the correct slot and way about

I may have remembered this bit wrongly... I think the grey casing with optical lense is more or less the same on MK2 and 3's and therefore interchangable. If not just use the MK2 one instead.

3. You'll obviously need bits from your MK2 lights... one is the white piece below, that replaces the black vesrion from the MK3. It's removed in the same way as the MK3 one, by picking out the sealant / tangs etc.

4. Shiney metal bodied MK3 reflector in various states of cleanliness before painting. Not essential I suppose, but easy to do while like this and should help prevent corrosion-

5. MK3 reflector in MK2 (white) plastic holder and memory permitting your choice of MK2 or MK3 grey metal casing / optical lens.

There's a 'cup' on that casing... just in case your tangs allow fitting either way round make sure it goes to the bottom - Note the tangs in this image have yet to be bent back over before resealing.

And bent over...

Thermal sealant, the temperature of the lens is intense, hence the plastic versions melting.

6.  Finito... Hella MK3 metal reflector with Hella MK2 bits back on -

Reply #36
And again! This is the electric window motor fix, insofar as it related to the problem I had anyway.

Same rules apply... don't assume my memory's correct, or the images are exactly in their proper order - it was all quite a while ago.

Did all the usual / obvious things first by changing fuses, switches etc. etc but as you may remember it was ultimately tracked down to the 2 x bushes (more accurately the grease around them) in the motor having got sticky through time / inactivity and holding them away from the copper coil so as to not be making a connection..

Just needed freeing up, cleaning and lubricated again... all very straight forward in itself.

The awkward bit was getting to that point as there's definitely a knack to taking it all apart. Once you've twigged it, it's easy but up until then you'll probably find bits falling out, uncoiling or flying off all over the place.

I'll let the images do the talking this time, I don't have the energy to re-write it all up again. They're pretty self explainatory and should take you though the dismantling back to reassembly, but if there's anything needs going into in more detail, just ask.

(Cable ties will help it from unravelling)

(Paper gaskets shot here, ultimately I found liquid stuff did the job at reassembly)

Reply #37
Great write ups will be good use to some , personally I didn’t know that Mk2s had fog lights or electric windows... you will be telling me they have PAS next

Don’t suppose you would like to post the info and anything else into the knowledge library?

Reply #38
Yup... I'll tidy it up a bit and stick them across there sometime soon.

I'd also the drivers window glass out at that time and I clearly remember what a faff that was - though think I've got it sussed now, if only through trial and error, so will try to add that as well.

Reply #39
Soooooo... Finally finished moving everything around in the garage so as to make as much room as possible to get at the MK2 in the coming months, it's still tight, but better than it was.

Ordered some propane for the space heater in anticipation of the weather getting colder soon - after being absolutely frozen doing the 205 last winter I've no intention of there being a repeat - It's a Mickey Mouse eBay one from years ago, but does the job.

Ashamed to say I have this car around 10 odd years now and will fully admit early on I made the mistake that probably a lot of people do and began to take things off it.

The really sad part is that it was running well, had tax and a MOT, but instead of doing it in stages I thought I knew best and inevitably one thing lead to another - very quickly it was a non runner and living mainly in boxes.

The engine bay's a mess... can't face doing anything with it at this stage so will be concentrating on the interior until I get into more of a rhythm. It's also the area that's the most dismantled... the upside of which is I can clearly see the bulkhead, warts and all - glad to say no rot.

Said previously that the interior was always in good shape and seems to be complete, really only doing exploratory work just to make sure there's no hidden surprises.

So far, if I had to guess, I'd say I'm the first person to see everything again since she left the factory... nothing looks disturbed. Infact I'm probably going to stop at this level, it's likely I'd do more harm than good going further. The bitumen backed felt is getting a little fragile and I don't think it would take being removed very well, specially just to put it all back on straight away. You can see in some of the images that bits of the felt are sticking to it having been pressed into each other for so long. In anycase I can see well enough beneath it just by lifting parts up insitu.

Fair warning, I'm going to use this thread to keep a bit of a record... The pics from today are a bit on the dull side (and I didn't realise at the time, pretty poor quality also, but too late now), so get used to it!

Reply #40
Few pages back there's some references to the additional gauge I put into the dash surround.

I'm getting to the point I'll be buttoning things up in that area and would prefer not too have to take stuff apart again if possible when a bit of forward planning could prevent it.

Because of that I'll have to make a decision on what gauge to fit, so as to wire it up now and leave things prepared for final connection at a future date.

Have got very rusty on MK2 info. having been away from actually using or working on one for so long, plus the 205 being french does everything differently and I'll have to adjust my mindset away from Peugeots oddball approach to doing some things.

I'll obviously be looking into jobs in better detail as they arise, but before then and just for the sake of it wanted to stick up a post now.

The Pug has old school gauges for oil temperature, another for oil pressure plus one for the expected water temperature.

Modern cars make you lazy when keeping an eye on your engine and I'd forgotten how those gauges aren't only useful but just add to the pleasure of driving an old car.

Think I'm right in saying the MK2 MFA has an oil temperature reading, but presumably you'd have to go in at every start up and find it plus the other readings would be denied you by keeping it on that one...

I'm leaning towards either oil temp. or pressure then... at the moment temperatures winning.

Is one easier to set up over the other... extra sensors for example / can work along side or use the existing MFA sensor / wiring?

On a side note thinking of putting either an amp or volt gauge in the 205 (it's got all the others main ones already) and battery condition / in and output is more of a biggy on them than MK2's what with the way Peugeot wired things up, so it'll not just be for looks.

Again it'll have to be one or the other, not both so need to decide.

From what I've read so far it looks like ammeters are more for really old cars, pre-alternator types and voltmeters would be better suited for a 205?

Anyone have either of them fitted and can share their experiences?

Reply #41
I'm in a similar position with mine, I have a set of gauges, Amps, Volts, Oil Temp and Oil Pressure along with an SWG centre console (A copy of the Votex job for a fraction of the price) ready to take them. I never got round to fitting them int eh last car but I'm determined to put them in this time. And I currently have the dash out (for the 2nd time in under a year) so it's now or never as I hope I don't have to pull the dash a 3rd time.

Volts is the easiest, you can just feed off an ignition live, could do perm live direct off the battery for a true battery reading, but that's not ideal so I'd say stick with ignition live.

Now, just a thought, but that power outlet you've put in the 205, on eBay they do little digital volt meters, either independent or as part of a usb charger.  like so:

You could always replace what you've fitted or I think you have space to put one at the side. Not very OE I know but would be desecrate enough but still helpful.

Amps is a little trickier, as for it to be effective, as far as I understand it, you want to monitor the amps used at cranking so you have to interrupt the starter motor, which means bringing heavy gauge cable into the car from the battery and back to the starter via the gauge. I think you're right, it's not really anything you see in more modern cars.

Volts, Oil temp and Oil pressure tends to be the standard set people go for in a Mk1 or 2.

There is a temp sensor that feed the MFA, and yes you have to cycle through to it on the MFA and obviously while you're looking at it you don't have the clock or other setting. I belive you can use this sensor and take feed to a temp gauge, this will disable the MFA one. If you want both you have to run a T-adapter and fit a separate sender. You can't just split the feed as it won't reed accurately or so I'm told.

There is also a pressure sender fitted but it only triggers the warning buzzer you get if the oil pressure drops. For a pressure gauge, you need to get a 2 pole sender. You fit this in place of the current pressure warning sensor and one pole feeds the original buzzer the second pole feeds the gauge.

This is the information as far as I understand it so far, not speaking from experience as I haven't got that far with my set up.

Reply #42
Wasn't going to put gauges in the center console, slots were taken up already with the window switches and a C-Box.

Might ditch the holder now though, probably not have anything to put in it anyway and already have some VDO's that'll cost me nothing.

The bluetooth adapter I mentioned before, that I got to steam to the Pugs stereo works a treat (highly recommended) and makes having cassettes redundant, likely be gettting another for the MK2.

Combined with the single top gauge I can now cover everything so problem mostly solved.

Picked up yet another cheapy, VDO (single pod this time) and gauge so it's destined for the 205... think it'll be the Voltmeter for that - the ammeter sounds like a real pain to wire up correctly and I really don't want to be distubing fragile Peugeot wiring now that it's all working properly.

Reply #43
The additional clock I put into the dash surround detailed in an earlier post uses the VDO Marine gauge surround, as GTIEngineering seem to have also done originally.

They're not that easy to find these days, probably a discontinued line by now.

Occasionally you'll see them on non-UK sites, not overly expensive but postage is usually prohibitive.

This sellers in the UK... cheap, look to be old stock and limited supply if you're after one to do it yourself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VDO-Gauge-surround-for-52mm-gauge/402532919108

Reply #44
I just thought then used the Scirocco gauge surround.

I have a couple of those in my stash as I was planning on doing the same mod originally. I was going to put Oil pressure up there and Amps, Volts and Oil Temp in the console. But since I've decided Amps in pointless I'll probably just put the 3 below and not mess with the instrument cluster yet.

I have considered a vacuum gauge, so maybe if I get one of those I'll still go with the up to gauge too.