Skip to main content
Topic: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White (Read 21158 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White

Reply #240
No one was harmed which is the main thing mate. Lesson learned!

Wouldn't say that, his pride took a battering!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #241
Well it's spring cleaning time and littering up my shed has been a set of leather rear seats from a Polo that I got last summer.

They're 60/40 split from a 6n, and had been screwed onto 2f frames and unlike an old Golf, where the bench rolls up they're split base and back like more modern cars where the base flips forward and the back folds down into the space where the base previously was.

So all of the was greatly different to a Mk2 rear bench and I wasn't quite sure how I was going to work it out. I had pondered this previously and got nowhere.

Anyway, back to wanting to tidy of the shed I decide it was time to make progress.

Sorry, I forgot the before and during pics. But with a bit of dedication, and the help of a stanly knife, and a needle and thread I managed to manipulate the foam and covers onto a one piece Golf rear bench.

Even though I'm still not a big fan of leather, I have to say I'm happy with this:

I still need to get a steamer on it to tease out some of the storage indentations, but it's in there and it works.

I'll cut a bit of board for the back and cover it, as currently this isn't pretty, but it'll do

I can now chuck out the polo seat frames and the old Mk2 foam and upholstery from the donor bench, which gets a lot of junk out the shed.  I do however have a full Ultraviolet interior that is in the shed, which ideally needs stashing somewhere else - or selling.
I don't want to sell, as I'm still not 100% convinced on the leather, even though I like the Recaros. But I recently had someone asking, which got me thinking. Ideally I want to store in case I ever want to change it back, but getting the space back and making some money would be nice too.

Reply #242
They're lovely seats mate. Do you have head rest for the rear? Occasionally I sensible priced colour concept fronts but they're always miles away! I also need to start clearing stuff, it's amazing how quickly ot all accumulates

Reply #243
Nice little uplift, bet the Recaros are comfy!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #245
They're lovely seats mate. Do you have head rest for the rear? Occasionally I sensible priced colour concept fronts but they're always miles away! I also need to start clearing stuff, it's amazing how quickly ot all accumulates

I found these in deepest darkest forest of dean, so a bit of a trek to back of beyond but not too far away. I did a big loop home after work from Cheltenham to Bristol via Wales. But yeah, they were a great price for what they are. I had been keeping an eye out for some nice seats, ideally Recaros on eBay but most of the knackered ones we're big bucks and you just know you'll be looking at £500-1000 for a retrim. I wouldn't have gone for leather but I couldn't say no for the price. Thinking, once I've got them if I ever want them retrimmed at least I could. Edd, with the Monza has recently bought the same seats and had them re-trimmed. IF he's at the Bristol meet tonight I'll see if he has them fitted yet.

Nice little uplift, bet the Recaros are comfy!

Yeah, they're good. Have a sit in tonight if you're there.

Do you have leather headrests? That would be uncommon

Unfortunately not. I'm on the look out for some though. It might be I find something from an other car with poles of the same width. I'd like to find something smaller as they're back seats. Although I've seen some for sale that are the correct Polo ones which are quite cheap, but in cloth trim. I could probably cover them myself, I'm far from a pro, but quite handy with a sewing machine. Even if I used vinyl it would be convincing enough for anyone looking through the window. It's not like anyone ever sits in the back.

Reply #246
So, I found some rear headrests

But to get them I had to do a bit of thinking. Finding some original Polo Colour Concept headrest was unlikely so I trawled through eBay with quite a general search. Now it seems the going rate for leather headrests tend to be about £40-£50 each.

But I found these, they're actually from a 2004 Audi A4 cabriolet. I asked the seller to send some measurements and what he came back with matched what I needed to I took a punt on it. £23 posted for the pair! I can live with that.

Reply #247
Bargain!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #249
On the weekend I finally made it to my first Queen Square breakfast meet, at a place just 2 miles down the road at Eastwood Park.

The nest couple of pics I stole of facebook that other people had posted of my car

And with that done, and keeping lunchtimes alive....

today it was time for the stickers to come off.

Reply #251
...growing older, no longer "The Animal".
Looks cleaner without the stickers. But it's your car and stickers are easy to remove/change  :D
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #252
It was only ever intended to be a temporary bit of fun for last year’s National meet. I wanted a way to distinguish mine from other white ones going round the track. I know there’s quite a few white ones.

And it great to be able to play around with easily reversed mods.

But it is nice to see it uncluttered again, I was getting a little bored.

Reply #253
Personally, I think you need to get a load of 'No Fear' stickers for this year!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v