Skip to main content
Topic: Pearl Grey 16v 96k miles  (Read 1975 times) previous topic - next topic

Pearl Grey 16v 96k miles

Well it’s been a while since I’ve been active on here . Some of you will know that I have a k reg white 16v 5door . Rewind about 10 years and I sold my mk2 gti 8v 3 door in pearl grey to make room for the k reg 16 valver I currently still own..  I’ve got various different cars / project on the go but wasn’t actively looking for another mk2 . However the other day I came across a car which just pulled at my heart strings and with in 24 hours of reading the advert I was driving back to Cornwall from London in my new purchase . A j reg 16v 5 door in pearl grey . She’s far from perfect  but a nice project to get stuck into over the next couple years . Having basically finished the white mk2 I’ve missed the excitement of sourcing parts required etc so here I am again second time round . I’ll try and post some pics to show you .

Re: Pearl Grey 16v 96k miles

Reply #2
Welcome back mate!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Welcome looking forward to the journey update posts.

Reply #4
Thanks guys . I’m looking forward to getting it sorted . Feel bad I’ve not been on here for so long and it’s took this car to get me to post again. Just need to learn how to post pics again . It’s all changed . Last time I was using photo bucket !! That’s all gone now hasn’t it lol

Reply #5
Yeah, photobucket isn't what it used to be.
I've been using Flickr in recent years, seems to work well
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
So with marks advice on postimage I’m having a go with a pic or two . If it works this was on the return trip when I collected it a couple weeks ago

Reply #7

Reply #8
So after the deal had been done and a deposit placed I left Cornwall about 3:00pm and set off for London with my brother. The car literally got advertised 11:00pm the night before . Fortunately when I got there about 9:00pm the golf was as described and the deal was done . We drove a few hundred yards to the local KFC for some food and I taxed the golf to be on the safe side ( 29th nov grrrr) we then set off for Cornwall and with in a few hundred metres picked up a flat . So yeah did the whole journey back to Cornwall on the space saver . After many road closures, coffee breaks and ages spent just getting out of Croydon we finally got home at 6:00 am Wednesday morning. A quick one and a half hour sleep then off to work. Would I change it , not at all. All part of the story for me . The golf ran brilliantly after doing barely any miles over the last few years . A big thank you to my brother for pulling an all nighter with me . I’ll try and keep this thread up to date with my progress.

Reply #9
Mine is registered J833KLY so I'd guess your'a was supplied by Collingdale in London. I had some new plates, rear screen sticker and tax disk holder made up as copies to the originals.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #11
Welcome back Dale… The wheels are a pleasant change …sure we will see some more pics and updates….
Agreed, I think you should have space savers all round.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #12
First thing i had to do was take a brave pill and go looking in the common areas . I’d had a poke around the turrets when I viewed it but was still nervous removing the covers. Fortunately all is looking nice and solid . As is the floors . Only lifted the carpets not fully removed them yet but I will do . No Sign of any water leaks or anything which is also nice to see .

Reply #13
Always nice to find

Reply #14
Mine is registered J833KLY so I'd guess your'a was supplied by Collingdale in London. I had some new plates, rear screen sticker and tax disk holder made up as copies to the originals.
This sounds interesting who did you get to make them up ? I’ll check where mine came from ? What colour is yours out of interest mate ?