Skip to main content
Topic: Hi all (Read 882 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi all

Well hello folks newbie on here. Owned a Mk2 for around 18mts after being a nosey sod led me to a brilliant barn find. Bagged myself a 2 owner 16v big bumper 3dr it had been sat away in the back of a garage for 18yrs it’s since been sat in my garage. Im  just getting around to sorting it out.

Re: Hi all

Reply #2
Hi and welcome.
Love a barn find, any pictures?  What’s the plans?
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #3
Hey up guys I’ll get some phots up for sure just sussing the site out unfortunately I’m not the most useful person when it come to online related stuff. More of a hands on guy or a dinosaur maybe. The plan is to fully restore it to as Oe as physically possible I genuinely think this car has the potential to be something special. I’ve been a busy boy ordering parts this week hopefully I’ll get her put back on the road shortly 20 yrs stood the old girl needs some tlc to say the least. I have put a little video of the car on YouTube please excuse my presentation skills I’m no James May https://youtu.be/v913FG0V4fo

Reply #4
Just looked at the Youtube video and it looks like you have a great find there!!!  At 93,000 miles it is just about run in  8) .  Word advice from someone who has experienced the joys of mice living in the car..........................pull the dash forwards and check behind for nests as they do like to nest behind there and have a nibble on the wiring!!
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #7
Awesome find with the red 16v I’ll  have to suss how to upload pictures and I’ll do a little thread of the journey so far. Got pictures of it being delivered in all it’s dusty glory to now and a short video of it running I managed to bodge a fuel system together on my days off and I got it started. It was lumpy and tapping its head off but to be fair it started really easily. I didn’t run it for long as the timing belt hasn’t been touched for years also the oil light was flashing and no coolant in the system but it’s alive.

Reply #8
Can’t suss how to post pictures on a thread I’ll have to get the mrs to help me out she’s the person who understands technology In our house I’m just a stupid miner. So basically good at hit things brake thing make lots of noise. 

Reply #10
Thank you.

Reply #11
Molo kwaye wamkelekile kwiklabhu!