Skip to main content
Topic: Mr J 833KLY :{) (Read 2081 times) previous topic - next topic

Mr J 833KLY :{)

Here's some recent pics of my steed. I've owned it since autumn 1996. Certainly not perfect but a WIP project.... If only I'd pampered it a bit more over the years.
More details to follow...

Recent pics

It had 14" steelies when I bought it and remained that way many years being my daily. I didn't want anyone to knick it! Bought at circa 59,000miles from the lady who had it as her company car then bought it, now on 170,000miles.
The first year I did circa 20,000+ and it did over 40mpg. It handled as if on rails compared to the Freg 1.3 Golf I had before it.

1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Re: Mr J833KLY :{)

Reply #1
Wow, you've got a heated screen!

How well does that work?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
Agreed, red is the way to go!! Welcome the interior looks clean.

Reply #5
Wow, you've got a heated screen!

How well does that work?

Like all the other electric extras I've added. Pending some wiring! I had it fitted last Saturday.
There's the heated screen, the heated driver''s seat, heated door mirror pads and the headlight upgrade kit!
Still having difficulty getting the ribbed crank pulley for the aircon so if you can please share the part number for both MK3 pulleys I think I can get them from Smashing VWs in Leeds.

Reply #6
Agreed, red is the way to go!! Welcome the interior looks clean.

I never wanted red...but it was in the best condition compared to what was available at the time. Some had repaired inner wings selling for top money!
Our eldest son grazed the chrome dash strip with his shoes and also crayoned the headlining as a baby...."little darling"

Reply #8
A couple of updates....

The leak into the drivers footwell continues, I thought it might have been sorted when I cleaned out the scuttle. Thinking back to the changes I've done it could be having the windscreen replaced although I did ask them to seal it. Here's hoping for a pleasant weekend to do more investigating!

Aircon Install

Managed to find some pulleys for the crank (bargain rib&v) and waterpump - circa £20 each off ebay. Just need to get one for the Alternator. However it's probably going to be a better idea to get a more powerful secondhand alternator which will hopefully come with a ribbed pulley so there are no issues with the additional electrical goodies (which still need wiring-up!)

Reply #9
Big fan of this!

Heated front screen looks exciting! I have it on my daily ford focus and it's such a blessing that I didn't realise I missed all these years! Haha

Looking forward to seeing where this goes from here 👍👍

Reply #10
Thanks Scherni.

Today I nipped out in my lunch break to see if I could see any evidence of water ingress, noted dampness in the bottom corner of the windscreen frame. Hopefully I'll get some time/reasonable weather to look/fix this weekend.

"Damp" patch

Reply #11
...and there was me thinking I'd got a permanent solution to the door membranes remaining firmly stuck to the door.

I've also found out that the rear offside footwell is sodden. That could be the reason I didn't see any drips in the front footwell. Based upon the fact that the car is slightly nose down at the front the water source could be the rear door membrane and its trickling forward.
Hopefully I'll be able to sort both membranes out today and then see if it is fixed.

Heater is plugged in to remove the moisture so I can stick to dry metal.

Exhibit 1
Exhibit 2
Exhibit 3

Re: Mr J 833KLY :{)

Reply #12
Not sure what its like in your part of the UK today but it's pretty grim up north.
There is some "good" news... I found 2 leaks from both back doors.
When I put the car back together after the respray I renewed all the door membranes. I also decided to make some "deflectors" so any water that gets in the door doesn't get to the inner membrane. However because I have rear leccy windows the motor stops the deflectors working as intended. The water is pooling in the creases and breaching the inner membrane.
Could really do with some dry weather so I can sort it out.
FYI. I used those milky rubble bags cut down the side and bottom then folded out and cut to shape. I used sticky tape to hold them but perhaps I should have used contact adhesive? The once very sticky tape is no-longer sticky.

Reply #13
I bought some of this last year for a small job on the 205, so still have most of a roll left. At the time I'd earmarked it to do the door membranes on the MK2 when the time came as it looked perfect for the job.

There's plenty of similar ones with different dimensions about (and varying prices, takes you to shop around).

The only downside is it's a pain to peel the protective film off either side, even longish fingernails won't do it so can take a while and cost you some karma to get off.

It's clear and about 1mm thick, it's just the removable film that's red.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NW4R9HP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply #14
Thanks, just ordered some to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get chance to at least stop the wayer getting in.
btw the gorilla glue you recomended is still holding that once dangling rubber on the gutter.