Skip to main content
Topic: Greetings from Finland! (Read 1802 times) previous topic - next topic

Greetings from Finland!

Hello everyone,

I'm Sami and I live in Finland. I'm 25-years old and I've been a VW fanatic since I was 18.

I'm going to buy a Mk2 Golf in the beginning of next year, I have already checked and inspected the car and the seller was willing to save it for me and he even removed the for sale-ads! What a nice guy..

What I know about the car is that it has a Weber dgv carb, 4 to 1 manifold and a K&N intake kit. From inside it's like new and the paintjob just needs a good firm polish, it's the typical red color with sun fading. 350,000km on the clock.

Cheers  8)
Just a Finnish dude.

Re: Greetings from Finland!

Reply #1
Hello everyone,

I'm Sami and I live in Finland. I'm 25-years old and I've been a VW fanatic since I was 18.

I'm going to buy a Mk2 Golf in the beginning of next year, I have already checked and inspected the car and the seller was willing to save it for me and he even removed the for sale-ads! What a nice guy..

What I know about the car is that it has a Weber dgv carb, 4 to 1 manifold and a K&N intake kit. From inside it's like new and the paintjob just needs a good firm polish, it's the typical red color with sun fading. 350,000km on the clock.

Cheers  8)

wow thats a good distance travelled,350,000km  220,000miles. has the previous owner changed interior ? or refurbished seat?   pictures please.

Reply #2
Hello everyone,

Cheers  8)

wow thats a good distance travelled,350,000km  220,000miles. has the previous owner changed interior ? or refurbished seat?   pictures please.

I don't know about that, the seats even felt like new when i sat on each of them  :)

Link to the ad
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #3
Hei ja tervetuloa. Katso tekninen osa, runsaasti neuvoja ja näyttää, mikä voi mennä pieleen. mekanikoita on yleensä helppo korjata, ruoste on iso ongelma

Teemme kuten kuvia

Reply #5
Hei ja tervetuloa. Katso tekninen osa, runsaasti neuvoja ja näyttää, mikä voi mennä pieleen. mekanikoita on yleensä helppo korjata, ruoste on iso ongelma

Teemme kuten kuvia

Sorry to say but this translation is completely non-sense  :D 

But yeah I have read all the topics and buyers guide etc. Good to know what to look for.
I actually did not see any signs of re-spray, maybe it has been welded in the past because the other rear shock tower was red.

I'm a mechanic myself so any mechanical issues are not a problem, it has just passed the MOT and the car costs only 890€ (~800£) so I think it's a good deal anyways!
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #7
Sorry I tried,  engine bay and rear turrets in the boot looked  orange in the photos

Did you write it yourself? If so, then it's impressive, I just thought it was a google translation  :D

I asked the owner about the orange and he said the engine bay and other parts are painted when there was some rust repairs done.
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #8
Hi Sami, welcome.  Where in Finland are you? I work for a Finnish company and have had many drunken nights in Helsinki  :))  :))
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #9
Hi Sami, welcome.  Where in Finland are you? I work for a Finnish company and have had many drunken nights in Helsinki  :))  :))

Oh cool! I live in Oulu, northern Finland. Which company do you work for, if I may ask? PM me if you want to share it  :))
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #10
Sorry I tried,  engine bay and rear turrets in the boot looked  orange in the photos

Did you write it yourself? If so, then it's impressive, I just thought it was a google translation  :D

I asked the owner about the orange and he said the engine bay and other parts are painted when there was some rust repairs done.

No he is lying , you can see orange through the boot slam, the whole engine bay and boot look original.. it was an orange car .which has been painted red...not the end of the world depending what you want... I wouldn’t want it though... Pop over and get one from the Germans ??

Reply #11
I agree with Damien. If I look closely at the boot ledge it looks like the red paint has chipped off showing orange underneath.
Is there a utility company in Finland that has orange vehicles?
Also what is the price range of a Golf in Finland?
Before you finally hand over your money I'd make sure you see as many as you can so you can compare and buy the one in the best condition that won't necessarily be the most expensive. You don't want to find you've spent too much. Likewise be aware if something looks too good to be true.
Sincere best wishes with whatever you buy.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #12
Thank you for your sharp eyes! Did not even spot that boot ledge! It is not the end of the world to me because I saw no rust in the car. There is no utility company in Finland that has used Mk2 hmmm.
I'm thinking that if that red is not salvageable back to life I might respray it! I'm studying as a body shop mechanic (did I say that right) at the moment and respraying this at school is not a problem.
The seller has had it from the year 2002 and he is 78 years old!

Price range in these is from 500-3000€ here and not so many for sale in decent condition.
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #13
You can get swept up emotionally sometimes, patience should get you a car you are happy with, this car is high mileage and has been resprayed , pretty sure you must be able to find better.......unless it’s really cheap and you don’t mind the work

Reply #14
You can also see the floor through the carpet gap undo the seat runners on one of the pics, so 100% left the factory as an orange car.

Orange was not a colour option so this is mostly from a utility fleet. A quick google search tells me the branding of your Postal service (Posti) is predominantly orange and has used orange vehicles historically.

I'd say it's highly likely this is an old post office vehicle. Shouldn't let it put you off if the rest of the car checks out.