Skip to main content
Topic: Finnish 1.8 '89 Carby moredoor (Read 2989 times) previous topic - next topic

Finnish 1.8 '89 Carby moredoor

Promised to make a topic when I get the car so here it is!

First one pic taken on the day I bought the Golf:

As you can see the paintwork is neglected and needs a good polish, surprisingly theres not much rust except on the boot lid.

Did a little test with finishing compound on the hood and I can tell it's going to look awesome when polished fully:

I also changed the tail lights which I bought from a fellow golf enthusiast for 10€:

(The exhaust is awful I know... Going to fix the silencer mounting so it wouldn't look so dumb.)

Also had a problem with temp & fuel gauges not working and it was just the regulator which had given up:

Replaced with a new 7180 regulator which has opposite pinout than the original so it has to be mounted upside down,
it wasn't a problem 'cause I just mounted the heat sink on top of it:

And after a lot of Finnish swearing in the cold and fighting with the speedo cable, I now had working gauges:

Also found this for only 40 euros and yes it's and original auto-plas product:

I also bought a Hella rear spoiler but I'm not going to use it so it is for sale.
Just a Finnish dude.

Re: Finnish 1.8 '89 Carby moredoor

Reply #1
Looks far better than how the advertisement was describing it, did it turn out to be an ex-postal service vehicle?

That's a clever fix for the gauge problem... I'd imagine others have suffered it too.

Would be a good one to record in more detail, for easy future access in the knowledge library, if it's not already there.

Did you ever discover what make the wheels are, looks like a faded logo on the center cap?

Reply #2
Looks far better than how the advertisement was describing it, did it turn out to be an ex-postal service vehicle?

That's a clever fix for the gauge problem... I'd imagine others have suffered it too.

Would be a good one to record in more detail, for easy future access in the knowledge library, if it's not already there.

Did you ever discover what make the wheels are, looks like a faded logo on the center cap?

Yeah it's better than it looked in the ad and the interior is completely intact! I have no more photos of the regulator replacement but I can make a guide if those pics are enough (?) It actually has been a vehicle for a finnish real estate company, that's why it was orange originally.

The wheels are Melber 6Jx14 ET38, found a few for sale around the world and all of them were missing the centre caps so I guess mine has some value in them because I have all 4 caps :-) Going to change the wheels as they are not as wide as I prefer and I'm maybe going for 15" set.

Engine spec list, I can say it's god damn fast for a 1.8 carby:

-Weber DGV
-5-cap head with porting
-272 cam
-4 to 1 steel manifold followed with 2,25" exhaust (no cat required in this car)
-Custom cold air intake
-Better ignition coil

It has a 5-speed box aaand the shifter bushings are totally shot, does anyone have a part number etc for the full bushing set?
No power steering but I don't see it as a problem :)
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #3
This is the kit the majority of people on here have bought from this seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK2-and-GTI-GEAR-LINKAGE-KIT-RELAY-LEVER-C21/220783472995?hash=item3367b87163:g:nqAAAOxyJs5RZuIl

They do sell over seas but not sure how the price might be effected now we're out of Europe :-(

In addition you can fit a weighted shift rod off of a mk3 Golf, which adds a bit of resistance to the gear change giving a more positive feel. And going that bit extra includes replacing the plastic ended rods with solid metal ones, like so:

Reply #4
This is the kit the majority of people on here have bought from this seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK2-and-GTI-GEAR-LINKAGE-KIT-RELAY-LEVER-C21/220783472995?hash=item3367b87163:g:nqAAAOxyJs5RZuIl

They do sell over seas but not sure how the price might be effected now we're out of Europe :-(

In addition you can fit a weighted shift rod off of a mk3 Golf, which adds a bit of resistance to the gear change giving a more positive feel. And going that bit extra includes replacing the plastic ended rods with solid metal ones, like so:

Thanks for the link! It's about 35€ shipped to Finland so not bad, going to order it if I don't find any kit locally. That mk3 weighted rod swap seems like a good improvement!
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #5
Not much has happened, did a little polishing and went out for a photoshoot:

Also found this for only 20 euros:

Next I'm going to get rid of those ugly auxiliary lights and swap in that dual grill. Need to fix the mounting of the exhaust so the silencer doesn't hang so low.

Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #6
Some progress on this:

Installed the Hella quad grill:

Threw in some new parts, timing belt kit and waterpump:

Also had a little fight with the plastic thermostat housing that connects to the bottom of the waterpump.
I really did not enjoy fighting with it in the -20C weather, in the end I went and bought a new Febi bilstein housing and the leaking was gone FINALLY. Going to source an aluminium one just in case.
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #7
Looks much better with a proper grill! 8)
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #8

Yes it does! Need to source a big bumpers somewhere, I'm not a fan of those small ones, they make car look so old :D
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #9
Looking good.  Does it have a block heater fitted?
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #10
Looking good.  Does it have a block heater fitted?

Yes it had been installed before I bought it, pretty necessary to have because for example last night the outside temperature went to almost -35°C!
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #12
Ah , you bought it, well done, looks good after a polish, is it staying red or going orange, don’t see many orange ones

Yeah I did and I'm very happy with it! I've already driven 1500km with it and still pleased. It's going to stay red for now, still need to polish the rear end of the car, now I've polished it from hood to the B-pillar, massive amount of time it takes...
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #13
I've done some work on the Golf. Mainly improvements and fixing the annoying little things that drive you crazy..

Local vw dealer had these laying around so got them with a discount when I bought them all.
Now the seats glide like new, even better than our bmw e46's seats does  :D

Two sets (8pcs total) of rear runner guides and one set of the front ones. So I have 1 spare set of rear ones.

Might as well wash the seats and vacuum the carpet good at this point:

Pic at starting point, believe me when I say the grime that came out of the seat was like liquid tar..

Carpet vacuumed good and seat rails cleaned tip-top.

I also changed ALL the shifter related bushings and parts, feels like new now:

Some parts are missing from the pic so don't worry I did change them all  ;)

New reverse lockout plate riveted in place.

Shifter box fully rebuilt with new parts and lubed with silicone grease.

Changed the nuts and washers too 'cause didn't want any old parts in there  ???

Also got this, amazing improvement on the shifting experience!

Weighted shift rod from a Golf mk3

A little fun mod that I've wanted to do since I decided to buy this car  :D

Still waiting for my new non euro plates to arrive, not digging the blue region section of the license plates  ::)

Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #14

Yes it does! Need to source a big bumpers somewhere, I'm not a fan of those small ones, they make car look so old :D

Small bumpers are they way forward, big bumpers are for 90s people with shoulder pads ... small bumper side mouldings and big bumpers are just wrong as well ... Well done on the -20 mechanics , we had a frost today