Skip to main content
Topic: Isaac - 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v... (Read 16744 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v...

Reply #120
Not quite sure what you are saying about 2 extra ports? It has 4 outlets yes?? Well a GTI uses 4 on a split system, looking form the front of the car front right port is FR brake, rear right port is RR brake, front left port is RL brake and rear left port is FL brake, it's spilt front and rear so if one fails you still have diagonal braking as I understand it.

Reply #121
Sorry Bill... outlets was the word I should have used and not ports.

Should also really have posted this up after I'd done a bit more background reading, but it's done now.

This is the original with it's 2 x outlets -

My old brake pipes are in a muddle having been moved about countless times since taking them off the car and I'm struggling to visualise what goes where from them.

It's not a problem as they were marked / tagged, but I don't fancy spending an hour trying to fathom it all out just to answer a hypothetical question.

For the sake of talking, assume then that the master cylinders are identical save for those 2 x additional outlets on the new one.

Can't find them at the moment but I've some purpose made blanking screws that I was going to use to seal off the extra outlets and connect the existing brake pipe layout to - straight forward to do (hopefully !)

If I've understood correctly the 2 outlet set up means the first outlet is supplying one half of the diagonal system (F/R + R/L) and the second outlet the remaining F/L + R/R ?

Would having 4 x outlets mean you could feed each F + R brake individually, assuming the pipe work lay out was changed to match ?

If that's possible, what benefits would it have ?

I was also wondering maybe the  4 x outlets simply accomodate the master cylinder being sited on the other side for LHD... just a thought.

Reply #122
Should maybe say my car does NOT have ABS... do they have 4 x outlets?

Reply #123
ABS one is completely different, it's interesting because checking 7zap the cylinder shown for a CE2 car i.e big bumper is a 4 port one?
Only way you would supply each corner individually is if you had 4 seals in inside and the ports would run inline, the 4 port one will be the same as the 2 port one, the only difference is the 2 port one uses those 3 way splitters you see on the bulkhead I believe to split front/rear on the same plunger.
If you are renewing all the pipes the 4 port one would be handy as it would tidy it up as you will just have one line to each corner with no splitters.

Reply #124
When I was double checking the part numbers before I bought it I came upon an article about 4x outlet MC's on a MK2... b***gered if I can find it again, and didn't really read it properly at the time so can only half remember what it said.

It'd be painless and easy to just fit it as a 2 x outlet, but since I have it and will be re-doing all the pipes anyhow might be worth looking further into a 4 outlet system.

Things like how that'll impact on the rear compensator and other unforeseen issues may decide it for me - don't want to create any needless expense.

If doable, would a 4 outlet system have any significant advantages over a 2 outlet, bearing in mind everything else will be stock and the car's going to lead a gentle life?

Reply #125
When I was double checking the part numbers before I bought it I came upon an article about 4x outlet MC's on a MK2... b***gered if I can find it again, and didn't really read it properly at the time so can only half remember what it said.

It'd be painless and easy to just fit it as a 2 x outlet, but since I have it and will be re-doing all the pipes anyhow might be worth looking further into a 4 outlet system.

Things like how that'll impact on the rear compensator and other unforeseen issues may decide it for me - don't want to create any needless expense.

If doable, would a 4 outlet system have any significant advantages over a 2 outlet, bearing in mind everything else will be stock and the car's going to lead a gentle life?

Won't be an issue with the compensator as both rear pipes will still be going to it individually.

Advantages are I would imagine it being a lot tidier on the bulkhead as really the only pipe you should see is the one going to the n/s front, the rest will be hidden, chance of less leaks as not using splitters, possibly better pressure as direct piping.

It's just the same set up really just doing away with the splitters, possibly uses less piping too.

Reply #126
Think I'll look into it a bit more, if even only out of interest.

Sounds like it may be just complicating things for no real advantage, plus the original MC will be redundant to me, even as a spare if I commit to different pipework... pros and cons.

Reply #127
Thought you might be interested in seeing an actual pic. of my car.

Before you get too excited it's a scan from a print-off of the 2010 local forum advert I bought it from - make sense!

Different registration on it now, was originally J303 OVU (get in touch if you've any history with that car before then)...

Reply #128
Think I'll look into it a bit more, if even only out of interest.

Sounds like it may be just complicating things for no real advantage, plus the original MC will be redundant to me, even as a spare if I commit to different pipework... pros and cons.

I did a bit of research and it appears that most MC's supplied now are 4 port and you do indeed blank off one front and rear but I would personally use all 4 as the splitters on the bulkhead look awful, I also saw that you can use a Cupra R MC 24mm one but you have to file about 3mm off the nub in the servo.

Reply #129
Gearbox cleaned up... temptation was to just keep going and take it a stage further but sense prevailed.

No leaks or issues before the car came off the road and it would just risk creating problems where none previously existed.

Sensible (and easily done at this stage) things such as the clutch / release bearing / reverse switch etc. will be the exceptions.

Reply #130
Monkey's is bigger than mine, having some engine stand anxiety issues this AM!

Superficial clean up and things don't look too bad to my inexperienced eye... visiting mechanic can't find anything glaringly wrong either but in time the plan is to take things apart more to check properly... fingers crossed.

Head went to a local machine shop to be checked over and things like valve guides etc replaced

According to them everything was spot on and nothing over and above a general refurb. required.

Reply #131
That's a new one engine stand envy.
scs

Reply #132
Hahaha! Engine stand envy!!

If it makes you feel better, I've got major workshop envy, your floor looks like you could eat off it!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #133
I'm over compensating - reality is it's the only clean corner, where the MK2 sat for a decade while all around it things got more and more minging.

Reply #134
Welder came yesterday for an hour or two and we made a start on some of the patches.

Going to take a few sessions as the works quite intricate and time consuming as a result.

Early days then, but so far seems to be going in our direction - photos hopefully soon!

In the mean time, and as I've the interior mostly out again I took the opportunity to remove the brake servo so as to allow me to check behind it and give it a bit of a refresh.

I'm 100% confident it has never been off before, it was still held on by those crush nuts VW seem to have used from the factory for safety critical items plus you can just tell!

Bit of a mystery then that it was a direct fit to the bulkhead other than a very light circular seal... no rubber grommet or intermediate metal plate as pictured at 10 and 2A in the schematic.

Piccy of actual items from an eBay seller.

Anyone else found them absent, maybe a late model thing and redundant by the end of production?

The bulkhead apperture is the shape to accept the seal, but I suppose even they changed specs. no need for the expense of changing the metalwork also.

There's absolutely no corrosion / leaking etc. so presumably having it makes no difference.