Skip to main content
Topic: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White (Read 20181 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White

Reply #30
Love what you've been doing with this! It would also appear our interiors were cut from the same cloth! Yours is the second time I have seen this trim, after mine. Haha
https://imgur.com/y9RNw23

Reply #31
Lunchtime updates are back on the menu!

When I went to check on the car the other day I noticed the dreaded damp footwell:

This was slightly upsetting as I'd just done the membranes and sealed the bonnet release cable thinking I'd solved this.

But before I could tackle that I had another issue, when I finished off the passenger door membrane in the dark I made a boo-boo at the last stage of screwing on the lock plunger, I pushed the metal rod below the door card. And since then the passenger door has been stuck in the locked position.

So I had to get the door card off with the door shut.  :o

Luckily, I found with the seat pushed and flipped all the way forward I could just about get a screwdriver to the screws with a bit of an angle on. Phew, just about got away with that.

So having done this a few times now it didn't take long to whip the carpets out.

in removing the lower dash panel I noticed the foam on the back was damp:

And with the carpet out I saw this mess:

And with a deeper dive:

Well as 'luck' would have it, while I was doing this is started to rain.

https://youtu.be/AO5Yr-WWIdQ

Whilst watching the drip a second drip could my attention.

Now to find the source. Nothing seems to be obvious in the scuttle area so I think I'm going to need to start removing stuff.

Not sure when I'll get chance to follow up but at least the carpet is out and drying and I can monitor the puddle.

Reply #33
I had a similar issue with a leak on the passenger side but that was because water was getting under the scuttle tray and dripping through the fresh air vent when the car was nose-up on the drive. It didn't happen if I parked the other way round! Your leak must be coming through a hole on the drivers side but I can only assume the route is through the wiring loom. Has the grommet/seal become dislodged or has someone drilled a hole for a wire without using a grommet? It seems you only need a small hole in the wrong contour and the water will find it and play havoc. Good luck. It isn't the best weather for drying stuff out.

I also made a faux pas with the internal lock button but was lucky enough to be able to screw the plastic lock plunger on the threaded wire without having to take the door panel off. Removing the small plastic surround helped since the wire is held in a guide if you know what I mean?
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #34
So I've been battling with this water leak for a while. And yes I wrote the guide but it would appear I have to update it.
I'm still not 100% I've got to the bottom of it, but here's the latest from my most recent few lunchtimes:

Following the previous update I chucked a bit more gunge around the bonnet release grommet and the bitumen panel under the ECU.

But this clearly wasn't enough.
There was still water the following day.

So happy at least the carpets were out and nothing was going to get ruined I took this to the next level, dash out:

My lunchtime involved, making and eating lunch and giving the dogs a quick walk leaving me about 20 mins, so there.. if anyone is concerned about dash removal it's can be done in 20 mins. So when it comes to the heater box I still say dash out, even though you don't need to, is the best option.

Back on topic, with the dash out nothing was obvious and my time was up.

So the following lunch time I removed the wadding from the bulkhead area and took out the fusebox and fusebox bracket and started to get some clarity:

I poured water over the top of the car and wasn't able to see anything coming in which was annoying but with rust stained lines I'm fairly certain this is the issue.

Skip a day:

I didn't have my phone with me to start with, so I miss scraping off the bitumen pad, I used a heat gun and paint scraper and it came up no bother.

I also didn't take pics, but I can assure you I did treat the rust before moving on.

And finally all cleaned up, primed, seam sealer (lots of it) and painted:

So everything crossed.

Reply #35
Oh and in other news, I bought. New Alpine stereo. The same series as what I had just better condition but what I failed to spot as the ad didn't show it working was the illumination was orange. I didn't give it a thought as most Alpine are green, but they did do orange versions. I should have realised when the seller said they had it in their Audi.

Anyway, being compatible I swapped over the illumination panel in the face plate.

I so hope I have sorted this water leak as I can't wait to get the dash back in and get the new one fitted properly.

Here's my old one, but now orange:

looks quite cool actually.

Reply #37
I quite like that colour scheme.

Also, can't wait for the next installment, to see if the fix has worked!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #38
Piccies like this are gold... you can explain something in writing all day long, but seeing it in front of you is so much better.

Had been wrestling with whether or not to take my own dash out to do the heater foam while the rest of the interiors out. You've sort of decided it for me now and answered my questions

Been reading the other recent threads of people doing theirs and I've no doubt mines probably in need of it too after 30+ years.

Reply #39
If you read back you'll see I took the dash out to do my heater when I got the car. I didn't fully remove the dash as the wiring loom was still connected and whoever fitted the alarm had run some of it though the dash support arms. And the dash speakers were also fully hardwired with no plugs on the end. This time round I had to bite that bullet and get the dash completely out of the way. Anyway, I was pleased to report a year on, or whenever I did it, the foam is still nicely attached to the heater flaps.

Everything will be getting a good clean and the cabling sorted, especially for the radio before it goes back. I've got LED bulbs for the instrument cluster, as I forgot to check those when I had it apart before and put it back without the MFA illuminating.

I might also re-route the aerial cable, it currently goes down the C pillar and under the floor, this makes it too short so there's an extension. I gather a factory bee-sting lead is routed along the headlining and down the A pillar. This should allow me to remove the join with a more direct and shorter path and with the cable along the roof line might help to improve radio signal.

I currently have the scuttle covered with a sheet of plastic, and luckily we've had no more rain. I want to give it as long as possible to cure so I won't be pouring water to test it just yet. I don't think there will be any further updates for a few days now. I'll just wait and let nature take it's course.

I think If I'd had a little more time on my hands, or a dry garage to work in I would consider practicing my welding and cover this panel once and for all.

What wasn't shown in the pictures, the panel that goes under the ECU (this is a blank as LHD cars would have the fresh air fan there) only appears to be sealed with a line of wax and a sheet of bitumen over the top, obviously both of these materials are prone to drying out, getting hard and brittle. So I guess that's why it was able to leak, although I'm still not sure why there is so much water in that area, poor design of the ECU cover I guess.

Also I've peeled back the windscreen rubber from both sides, there's no sign of corrosion I'm pleased to report.

Reply #40
Oh and in other news, I bought. New Alpine stereo. The same series as what I had just better condition but what I failed to spot as the ad didn't show it working was the illumination was orange. I didn't give it a thought as most Alpine are green, but they did do orange versions. I should have realised when the seller said they had it in their Audi.

Anyway, being compatible I swapped over the illumination panel in the face plate.

I so hope I have sorted this water leak as I can't wait to get the dash back in and get the new one fitted properly.

Here's my old one, but now orange:

looks quite cool actually.

It does actually look very cool with the orange illumination so will send a pic when it is installed and show how it looks against the rest of the green dash illumination.  I might still grab a green front from eBay just in case I grow tired of the orange :D  One thing I seem to have found out is that the designation at the end determines the colour R is green illumination and RM is orange illumination
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #41
A while back you may remember I bought some LED bulbs for the instrument cluster. Well since I have the cluster out and not much else is going on at the moment I thought I'd fit them ready. Only to find the cheap Chinese rubbish I bought are indeed rubbish!

It's quite tricky to do a close up pic, and the white is over exposed (iphone 6s camera clearly ain't that good at macro) but hopefully you can see the moulding of the white LED bulb holder doesn't include a tab at the top like the OE blank one, which meant although the bulb would fit there was nothing much securing them in place and they'd most like drop out if I went over a bump.

So I set to work popping out the old bulbs and the new LEDs from their holders ...

... band transferring the LEDs into the OE black holders. A fairly simple and satisfying job.

I just hope they work when refitting and I need to remember to check before I finish installing all the trim.

Although one of my three bulbs was a slightly different design and wouldn't work so well but I had a couple more spares available that did work.

The pack of ten cost peanuts meaning I now have 7 spare LED, already with resistors and ready to be unsoldered from the tabs ready for reuse in the rest of the dash switches. I mean, I may as well, I can't do much else with them.

I did also drag my old spare 140 speedo out of a storage box. It's from a CE1 cluster but RubJonny has assured me it'll work in CE2, so I was considering the swap over, but on reflection the original cluster is in good condition and has never been opened before so I'm not decided yet if it's worth the hassle. Plus I'd need to match the miles, else I'd ben sticking an extra 10k on the car and we don't want that do we.

Reply #42
Has the leak gone for good? I now have a leak in the driver's footwell..arrgh!
Today I used  a paint brush and some soapy water to remove muck and debris in the scuttle before my hands went numb with the cold. Pehaps I'll be able to investigate further at the weekend.
Did you say the LHD fresh air aperture is just covered by sticky bitumen pad, nothing else? I have some new stuff I can use.

Reply #43
Has the leak gone for good? I now have a leak in the driver's footwell..arrgh!
Today I used  a paint brush and some soapy water to remove muck and debris in the scuttle before my hands went numb with the cold. Pehaps I'll be able to investigate further at the weekend.
Did you say the LHD fresh air aperture is just covered by sticky bitumen pad, nothing else? I have some new stuff I can use.

There’s a metal plate with tabs. You can see it as the pink thing in one of the previous pics. It’s sealed with wax that had gone hard and brittle and covered with a bitumen pad.

No, my leak hasn’t gone but is greatly reduced. Haven’t had much time for it lately but thinking I’ll take another look at the door membrane. I did it in a bit of a hurry. If it’s not that I fear it might be a windscreen out job.

Reply #44
OKies. I'll investigate further.
It isn't the best weather to be unearthing a leak!...wet yes cold NO!
I had the heated windscreen fitted the other week and I requested they use the sealant I got from Ricky Evans since its important not to let moisture get to the membrane. The fitters didn't mention any issues. Prior to it being fitted I noticed rust bubbling in the bottom drivers side corner of the screen, peeled the rubber back scraped the paint off treated and fortunately no hole.
I'll remove the scuttle cover completely and make use of the watering can!