Skip to main content
Topic: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White (Read 20632 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White

Reply #135
Great update and that is a good tip on the plastic screws for the arches. Where did you get them from? I am about to install plastic arches on the mk3 and will want to take them off the mk2 semi regularly to check or clean.

First time round I bought then from Halfords, they are smaller and go in the rivet sized holes without the need to open them out. Although they stick out more than theres. But when I bought them you used to get at least a dozen in the packet, now you only 4 so it's not a cost effective product as they are a few quid a pack.

But based that my previous purchase an my build thread at the time an old club member that lives locally, but no longer owns a mk2 (but we've stayed in touch) bought this bulk bag of about 100 fixings off eBay from China, when the arrived he found they were too large and didn't use them. Knowing I was doing this job again he said I was welcome to have them.

I think it's something like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170935610114?hash=item27cc8e6b02:g:M2gAAOSwyvBhFm4N but there's lots of different options if you search "plastic trim screws".

These are the ones I used before from Halfords

Reply #136
Excellent thank you - that is definitely the route I will go as I think it is worth taking them off and cleaning every so often.

Nice repair there too - mines just been done like that today too!

Reply #137

Finally all back togther and down form the axel stands.
Just needs a little tune up to lower the CO2 then I can get it booked in for the next MOT.... or almost.

Rear offsidge handbrake is still binding. I freed up the caliper previously but sitting unused for a while hasn't done it any favours so it clearly needs another look.

Reply #138
Have you given it a wash too?
Looks very shiny!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #139
Just good lighting! It hasn't been washed in ages and is covered in fallout from all the grinding/cutting/welding.  That black dot on the wing is a bit of leaf caught in a cobweb just below the side repeater.

The paint feels like sandpaper so will need a good wash/clay/cut/polish/wax. I only cleaned around the arches, sills and wing tips before the trims went back on so there was no dirt trapped behind. I did half heartidly clean the wheels before they were fitted so I think the shiny lips help with the illusion.

Reply #140
I would imagine the grinding has sent hot metal particles onto the paint work and damaged the surface that's why its rough to the touch.
scs

Reply #141
I would imagine the grinding has sent hot metal particles onto the paint work and damaged the surface that's why its rough to the touch.
scs

Nothing a bit of t-cut won't sort out. The small bits I've done come have been very sucessful, there are no serious spark burns just metal 'dust' combined with the fact it hasn't been washed properly in almost 2 years.

Reply #142
Re: The rear caliper and sticking handbrake.

The piston moves freely and the pads slide in the carrier, so the main caliper operation is fine.

The issue it the handbrake lever on the back of the caliper. Pulling the handbrake on the cable operates the handbrake as expected, but releasing the handbrake the lever on the caliper doesn't move freely to release the handbrake. A turn of the wheel will release the pads from the disc surface and allow the wheel to spin.
There is a spring on the lever to help with the return but it appears the spring is not strong enough. You can physically push the lever back to the 'home' position with your finger so it's not like it takes a big effort.

Anyway, I've found out the following information so I will be trying this:

- Whip out the 10mm bolt near the handbrake lever on the caliper, This is the bolt the spring wraps onto. Then you can prise the lever up, it'll only move a little way but it might be enough.

- You will find the spindle is all rusty and horrid, use a thin piece of sandpaper/dremel/wirewool or whatever it takes, try to work some oil into where the lever swivels i also spray some spray grease in there.

- Keep doing that until its free. Not sure what's involved in being able to remove the lever and spindle completely.

Now here's the intersting bit I found out, and the answer I was looking for, based on my comment above about the spring not being strong enough:

- late 80s ford granada spring are indentical but a touch stronger, around £2.50* from ford

* not sure how old the post was but found a pair on eBay for £6.50.

I know the long term recomended solution is to fit, mk3, Mk4 or polo calipers. But if I can simply get this handbrake to release nicley with a bit of labour and a few quid spent it'll do me for now.

Reply #143
Interesting. I do find my MK3 rear calipers a bit "sticky" but not as bad as the MK2s I had.
I would suggest using penetrating oil first since that will find its way down the handbrake actuator. Then when it is moving freely applying oil should help further followed by gease to stop the crud getting back in.
While you are at it you could do the Polo axle upgrade too!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #144

Finally all back togther and down form the axel stands.
Just needs a little tune up to lower the CO2 then I can get it booked in for the next MOT.... or almost.

Rear offsidge handbrake is still binding. I freed up the caliper previously but sitting unused for a while hasn't done it any favours so it clearly needs another look.

If there is no fluid coming out then the problem is muck getting in. As your investigation and others comments some oil and a new spring will help but the fix is s full strip down. If you do strip down please post loads of pictures, I can’t remember how to put mine back together.

Reply #145
2am this morning was woken by the dogs barking, at pretty much the same time my son came in and said there’s someone checking out my car. His room is on the front of the house, when he heard the dogs he noticed the security lights were also on so looked out. By the time I got to the window I just caught view of the heels disappearing round a corner.

Hopefully just some inquisitive lads passing by that wanted a closer look at a cool car, either way with the dogs, lights and twitching curtains they decided not to hang about. If it’s anything more sinister hopefully that was enough for them to not return.

It’s boxed in on the drive so it’s not going anywhere, plus it’s out of petrol currently.

But either way I’ll be setting up the night cam my daughter got me last year to watch our resident hedgehog and I’ll set the alarm which hasn’t been on for fear of flat battery and false alarms while it’s been laid up.

Makes you think though.

Reply #146
It does indeed mate,
That's why I bought one of those Vodafone Curve trackers.
Maybe you should think about it too, only £30 and then £3/month subscription.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #147
Take the steering wheel off plus 1 x wheel and if you have them, 1 x locking wheel bolt on the hub to slow them down if they bring their own.

Not fool proof but the harder you make it the better.

Reply #149
Roll on the Spring and hopefully we will be using ours a lot more.  Let hope we get some shows early next year and finally the annual meet back on track.  What a nightmare 2020-2021 has been.