Skip to main content
Topic: Test your knowledge! (Read 21488 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Test your knowledge!

Reply #405
Its the non PAS rack adjusting screw.  Neat and simple engineering adjusts the rack, locks the setting and prevents loss of gear oil.

I had no end of trouble getting this rubbish picture.  This was the best of 5 attempts.  The screw head can be seen in the centre of the closing plate.

Reply #407
Interesting, there are a number of parts in this thread that are big bumper parts that are not on earlier cars, or relate to options that became standard.

Hehe. I guess that should have been a clue for the Big Bumper/PAS crew being at a disadvantage!  :D

1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #408
I don’t know, I just thought it is a really cool bit of mechanical engineering. I thought it broken and nearly ran a die nut down it. Thankfully I researched it and was surprised by what I found. 

Reply #409
Nobody disadvantaged here, fairly certain all 1.6 and 1.8 cars have one of these:

Reply #411
Wanted to double check it as its a spare. 7Zap on my phone isn’t playing. So I think, and I may have to eat humble if I get this wrong, shift gear and this bit holds a lever in place.

Reply #412
Well this one hasn’t been great. Perhaps I should RELEASE some more clues. Or would that be CLUTCHING at straws?

Reply #414
Yes they would be disadvantaged, I forgot MK2s were available with an auto.  Also I guess it's not on 1.0 and 1.3 models either.  I was referring to the big vs small bumper differences, this part is common to both.
Your guess is exactly what I thought would be suggested as soon as I posted the part.  If you follow that cable and levers and push rods all the way to the clutch you will have come across this component.

Reply #415
Hmmm, I've not played around with 020 transmissions yet.
It's on the list though, so I expect I'll encounter it soon enough!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #416
Yes you will definitely come across it. You don’t even need to split the box from the bell housing. It’s part of the clutch release mechanism.

Reply #417
I have a feeling I know what the 02A version looks like, I'll keep my eye out for it now.
Though it feels like a very long way away!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #418
Let's call time on this, it's part no 21.  It secures the lever that presses on the release bearing (edit; no perhaps it secures the return spring, it's a while since I did battle with it).

Reply #419
This isn't a test your knowledge, just thought you may find it interesting.  This is a 90s DIY security feature that I have removed from my car.  Pressed steel about the size of a Cook's Matches matchbox, but open on three sides.
Any idea what it guarded against?